%% ZeroContextExample entries are not allowed on wiki pages. All such entries have been commented out. Add context to the entries before uncommenting them.
''The Animal'' is a 2001 comedy film directed by Luke Greenfield and starring Creator/RobSchneider.
Marvin Mange is a man who works as an evidence clerk at a police station. He is a meek and uncoordinated person who gets bullied by his neighbor's dog and Sgt. Sisk (John C. [=McGinley=]). While doing some work, he gets a call from a police officer about a robbery. Unfortunately for him, no one is coming there and Marvin is forced to go there by himself.
While going to the scene of the crime, he gets into a car accident where he is completely crushed. That is, until he is rebuilt as a man with animal parts and their instincts. It helps a lot in his work, though, and he's promoted to full officer. Then vicious attacks on the townspeople are attributed to a supposed beast-man, making Marvin the prime suspect...
* AlliterativeName: Marvin Mange.
%%* AnimalMotifs - Natch.
* AssShove: Marvin's newfound powers allow him to sniff out some drugs on, or rather IN an airline passenger.
%%* BlackBestFriend - Miles
* BlackDudeDiesFirst: Defied - [[spoiler:when Miles takes the blame for everything Marvin did, everyone in the Mob goes from "KILL THE BEAST" to "I'm not gonna be part of a mob that killed a Black Guy." leaving Miles calling them racist as they walk away.]]
%%* BodyHorror - Kind of.
* BrickJoke: Yolanda from the badger milk commercial [[spoiler:gets married to the MadScientist - while getting her own animal upgrade.]]
%%* ButtMonkey - Sweet mercy, Marvin.
* TheBully: Sgt. Sisk.
* ChekhovsGun: Miles and his wild theories on PositiveDiscrimination [[spoiler:saves Marvin's ass ''and'' his own in the end.]]
%%* JerkAss - Sgt. Sisk
* GranolaGirl: Rianna "Hummingbird" Holmes is a downplayed example; she's introduced saving a tree on television, and she works at an animal shelter.
* KidsAreCruel: The children visiting the police station, after learning that Marvin is just an evidence file clerk and has not actually passed the police officer examination yet, handcuff and attack Marvin before writing LOSER on his chest with spray paint (Sgt. Sisk interrupts them after they write LOSE, but because Sisk is a bully himself, he finishes the word by writing the R himself).
%%* MythologyGag - "That's a HUGE bitch!"
* NeverMessWithGranny: One of the obstacles in the police officer examination course is a harmless-looking old woman who quickly turns out to be proficient in hand-to-hand combat.
* NoRespectGuy: Marvin, at the beginning of the movie, but this changes after he gets his animal upgrades and is able to accomplish great feats.
* NotMeThisTime: After Marvin's animal instincts start taking over, Marvin finds himself blacking out and waking up in strange places, such as in a butcher shop having eaten almost everything inside. However, Marvin is innocent of [[spoiler:attacking the hunter; that was Rianna's doing, as the hunter was after her turkey vulture so she had to scare him off.]]
* RedHerring: Towards the climax, three RedHerring cliffhangers set up the reveal of three possible suspects: [[spoiler:Marvin's friend, the MadScientist himself, and even Ed Asner's police chief character. It turns out to be Marvin's girlfriend.]]
* TheReveal: There's another man-beast prowling about, and Marvin finally meets the other beast when they save Marvin from being shot by Sisk. Marvin says "You..." in surprise while facing the camera. The next shot is a cut to [[spoiler:Rianna]] with glowing eyes, revealing that [[spoiler:Rianna is the other beast.]]
* ShoutOut: The scientist who put Marvin back together using animal parts owns a pet monkey, but in-universe, the monkey used to belong to a pop star. As the scientist says, the monkey "really misses the pop star. I'm not allowed to say who." Then the monkey starts [[Music/MichaelJackson moonwalking]].
* SingleWomanSeeksGoodMan: Marvin and Rianna's first meeting doesn't go smoothly as Marvin embarasses himself, but Marvin gradually wins her over by being a nice guy (although it also helps that Rianna doesn't notice some of Marvin's uncontrollable animal behavior, such as fighting with one of the animals at her shelter), and Rianna clearly prefers Marvin to the overbearing Sisk when she gets out of Sisk's flirting by pretending Marvin had already set up a date with her.
* TorchesAndPitchforks: A mob is assembled at one point, though one would-be member [[ShamingTheMob keeps slowing things up with inconvenient questions.]]
%%* UnfortunateNames: Marvin Mange.
* UngratefulBastard: Miles saves the man on his trail, but he still tries to kill him!