Swimfan is a 2002 teen thriller released by Fox.New Jersey high school senior Ben Cronin is a former juvenile delinquent, whose past criminal behavior was fueled by and for drug use. He credits the support of his now long time girlfriend Amy Miller and getting into competitive swimming as the primary reasons for turning his life around, which includes working part-time at the hospital where his single mother works. He has become the star swimmer of his high school team, so much so that scouts from Stanford University are coming in a week's time to watch Ben swim. Ben has a new swim fan in Madison Bell, a recent transfer student to Ben's high school. Despite Ben making it clear that he is in a committed relationship, Madison seduces him, the seduction to which he succumbs. They agree afterward that their encounter was a one-time only event, but Ben slowly comes to the realization that despite Madison's assertions to the contrary...
The film includes the following tropes:
- Artistic License – Medicine: Hospital volunteers do NOT give medicine, as Ben is seen doing several times.
- Bittersweet Ending: Ben and Amy have reconciled and he's been cleared of all charges, but Madison's damage to his life might irrevocable—he's still off the swim team, meaning his chances of a scholarship might be gone.
- Car Fu: Madison runs down Amy which puts Amy into a wheelchair
- Chekhov's Skill: An inversion - Madison is a huge fan of Ben, and she can't swim. If you think you've figured out what happens to her in the climax... you're absolutely right.
- Finding A Bra In Your Car: Madison realizes that she left her panties in Ben's car. It isn't clear if she did this intentionally.
- Frameup: Madison tampers with Ben's drug test so that he tests positive. His history of drug use doesn't help. Later, she tries to frame him for Josh's murder and for running Amy down
- Heel Realization: Josh, after Madison calls him "Ben" and he realizes that she really is the psycho that Ben has been claiming she is and that by helping her frame Ben for drug use, he's just as bad as she is.
- I Have Your Girlfriend: In the climax Madison does something like this after she escapes from police custody by threatening to throw in the now wheelchair bound Amy into a pool which she does.
- Mistaken for Junkie: Ben, thanks to some tampering. It doesn't help that he has a history of drug uses.
- Police Are Useless: Subverted, Madison does eventually gets arrested for her stalking antics before the climax but the policemen holding her let their guard down and get killed by her which allow her to set up the climax.
- Reality Ensues: Ben and Amy's reconciliation is very tentative and he's still off the swim team. It turns out being the victimized protagonist doesn't mean that your life automatically goes back to normal once the villain is defeated.
- Recycled In Space: Fatal Attraction with teenagers!
- Stalker with a Crush: Madison. And Josh apparently isn't her first victim.
- Two-Person Pool Party: Ben and Madison
- Wrong Name Outburst: Madison calls Josh "Ben" while they're making out.
- Yandere: Madison