A Disney Channel
Original Movie. Megan Larson is an ordinary teenage girl. Her workaholic father Fred
and windsurfing mother Kathy
are divorced, and Megan longs for them to get back together, as much as she wants her little brother Trevor
to be less annoying. But the thing she wants the most is for a popular guy named Cutter to be her boyfriend.
But things start to get a little weird when her mother meets Cosmo Cola, a nice but weird guy. He has a pretty and intelligent daughter named Ariel who is even weirder than her dad. Ariel hides under her father's car when the wind blows, talks in a sophisticated manner, wears many layers to 'protect her essence', cannot ride a bicycle despite training wheels and a football helmet, and mostly complains that she hates the town where she resides and wants to return to her hometown in Yukon to be with her boyfriend, Fanul
. Worst of all for Megan Larson, the kids at school think that the way Ariel behaves is 'cool and revolutionary'. Her teachers believe her mannerisms are poetic, and she even gets to sit in the popular table on her first day which attracts Cutter's attention.
What Megan does not realize is that Ariel and her father are aliens. Because Ariel's father was a freedom fighter on their home planet, they had to escape to Earth, leaving behind their home, Ariel's mother, and Ariel's boyfriend Fanul, the son of the emperor (surprise). On her home planet, every citizen is a gaseous bubble that floats carelessly, so Ariel is very uncomfortable with the solid objects of Earth. She hates everything on Earth: her name, the wind that blows, the solid objects and people, "every time I look at this horrid vehicle; the rubbery flesh, the flat face, the ghastly yellow hair that grows out of this hideous skull, I can only think I am grotesque." Ariel and Megan become enemies although Megan's mother becomes engaged to Ariel's father. As Ariel and Megan realize that they both want to separate their parents, they agree on a temporary alliance to achieve their common goal. However, none of their plans work well.
When Megan begins to suspect something especially unusual is occurring, she discovers that both Ariel and Cosmo are aliens. When she does find out... Hilarity Ensues
The movie contains the following tropes
- Alien Among Us
- Aliens Speaking English
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: It seems this can happen on any planet.
- Amusing Alien
- Annoying Younger Sibling: It's played straight, and subverted at the same time.
- Betty and Veronica: Mentioned by name referring to Megan and Ariel. Ironically, not only does Megan's crush fall for Ariel, but Ariel's boyfriend from Zircolon, Fanul, ends up falling for Megan.
- Bizarre Alien Biology
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Arguably Megan at first, but she gets better.
- Crazy Cultural Comparison: Much of the humor comes from Ariel comparing how wierd she thinks earth culture is compared to back home.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Mr. Cola.
- Didn't Think This Through: Megan and Ariel's plan to break up their parents because the don't like each other. It didn't occour to them that they'd find they actully had a lot in common.
- Everytown, America
- Fantastic Comedy
- Humans Are Morons: Averted. Not only do humans help Cola and Ariel, Megan and the others manage to help topple an evil alien empire!
- Human Aliens: Cola and his daughter Ariel are actually sentient gas bubbles, but take human form on Earth.
- Human Outside, Alien Inside: Again, Cola and Ariel.
- Interspecies Romance: Between Megan and Ariel's parents.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting: Ariel has this habit of turning herself into a... bubble.
- Oh Crap: When Megan first discovers the truth about Ariel, the both scream.
- Romantic False Lead: To break up their families, Ariel tries to arrange a dinner with her father and Serena Soo, and Megan with her divorced dad. It doesn't end well, ironically, SerenaSoo ends up with Megan's father instead.
- Testosterone Poisoning: Parodied. As part of the sabotage, Ariel suggests to her father that Megan's mother wants a stronger man, and he starts stereotypically like one, including talking like a cowboy and ordering a steak in a pizza restaurant.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Root beer. Upon landing on Earth, Ariel won't eat anything else. She only likes soda because it contains carbon dioxide.
- The Ugly Guy's Hot Daughter: Ariel Cola, though in all fairness Cosmo's not that ugly
- The World Is Just Awesome: Mr. Cola thinks all of Earth is pretty cool.
- Worthless Yellow Rocks: Ariel complains that packing a bunch of worthless crystals from Zircolon wasn't going to help them on Earth, but Cosmo makes a fortune selling them on eBay and subsequently uses the cash to support the family and buy a collection of odd things to gift to Megan's mother.