In the movie Split Second
, Harley Stone (played by Rutger Hauer
) is a cop who often flouts the rules
working in a decaying, flooded London circa 2008 (clearly an alternate timeline), as global warming has caused sea levels to rise.
A supernatural killer
that Stone is convinced exists has returned, and it's his mission
to find the killer before anyone else dies. Unfortunately, his boss doesn't think he's stable enough to work without an assigned partner, Dick Durkin. Hilarity (and action-adventure) ensues.
This film provides examples of:
- Absurdly Sharp Claws: The creature uses its huge claw to shred through the roof of a subway train like a hot knife through butter. It has to be seen to be believed.
- And Show It to You: In the climax, Stone pulls out the monster's heart from its chest and blows it to smithereens with his gun. Interesting that it might not be overkill: the monster doesn't drop until the heart is destroyed.
- Badass Longcoat
- Beat Still, My Heart: After Stone pulls out the monster's heart, it keeps beating.
- BFG: Dick Durkin snaps and ends up demanding, literally, Bigger Fucking Guns.
- Cowboy Cop
- Deadpan Snarker: Harley Stone. It helps that Rutger Hauer seems to naturally gravitate to playing characters this way.
Durkin: Her heart? What for?
Stone: Maybe he eats them for breakfast.
- Disposable Woman: Michelle.
- Gonna Need More X: Dick Durkin demands more guns (specifically, Big Fucking Guns) after seeing the monster for the first time and consequently freaking out.
- Jerkass: Stone. He goes out of his way to be a smartass to people, even to the extent of purposely ordering coffee in a bar.
- More Dakka: Harley's arsenal. In spades. He has, among other weapons: an MP-15, Glock 50, and an A-3 assault shotgun.
Thrasher: I'm surprised you don't have a grenade launcher.
Stone: I couldn't get a permit.
- Serial Killer