Spiral is a 2007 Psychological Horror film directed by Joel David Moore and Adam Green and starring Zachary Levi and Moore. Moore is Mason, a troubled telemarketer and artist prone to panic attacks. His childhood friend, Berkeley (Levi), is also his boss, and covers for him. Mason meets Amber at work and falls for her. He begins making paintings of her, but there is something darker below Mason's obsession with painting her...
This film exhibits the following tropes:
- Ambiguous Disorder: Mason is obviously suffering from severe social anxiety that triggers panic attacks.
- Beleaguered Childhood Friend: Mason for Berkeley.
- Catapult Nightmare: Mason frequently wakes up with these and an asthma attack.
- Door of Doom: The door in the back of Mason's apartment glows ominously in several scenes. It may be where Mason kills his victims.
- Dress Hits Floor: The shot we get as Amber rises from her first nude portrait sitting.
- It Always Rains at Funerals: There's a beautiful overhead shoot of umbrellas as a grieving child weaves his way through them when Mason visits his mother's grave.
- Jazz: Mason has an obsession with it and how it requires strict rules that must be broken. It may also be influenced by his parents and his mother's death.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Amber plays this role. She may even literally be a dream girl depending on whether Berkeley is right with his final conclusion.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Mason painted all of the Jazz postcards to impress his father who is in prison for killing Mason's mother.