A 2004 espionage thriller written and directed by Creator/DavidMamet, starring Creator/ValKilmer, Creator/KristenBell and Creator/WilliamHMacy.
The story follows Bobby Scott (Kilmer), a government secret agent charged with finding and recovering the kidnapped daughter (Bell) of a high-ranking government figure, who is partnered with the new recruit Curtis (Derek Luke). Scott is obedient and cold when it is necessary, but quickly discovers a much larger and more sinister political scheme.
''Spartan'' has been labelled by some as "the thinking man's thriller", and has a moody and slow-paced atmosphere. The film received mixed to good reviews, particularly regarding the ending.
!!This film provides examples of:
* AmateurSleuth: Curtis.
* AnyoneCanDie: [[spoiler: A lot of people around Bobby Scott tend to end up dead, and rather suddenly. Most notably, Curtis being shot by an unknown sniper.]]
* AntiHero: Bobby Scott is shown as cold and relentless when it comes to getting the job done. [[spoiler: However, when finding the truth behind the daughter's kidnapping, he follows his conscience]].
* AuthorityEqualsAsskicking: Scott uses his importance as a secret agent to do, and get away with, many morally questionable things.
* BittersweetEnding: [[spoiler: Bobby manages to rescue the president's daughter, but his ally Sergeant Black is killed amongst the chaos. Also, he gets zero recognition for his rescue and outcasts himself to another country.]]
* BlastingItOutOfTheirHands: This happens quickly in one scene, in which Bobby is being shot at and one hits his submachine gun. He visibly shows pain, but ultimately isn't harmed and manages to pull out his sidearm.
* DramaticGunCock: A variation. After killing one of the convicts Bobby pulls the trigger with the shotgun pointed at the other one. The firearm is empty but he does it to intimidate and get information from the convict.
* DrillSergeantNasty: We briefly see one of these early in the movie.
* DuelToTheDeath: Curtis goes through one of these as a graduation process to the Delta Force.
* EyeScream: [[spoiler: Bobby orders Curtis to take out a man's eye when he's not giving up the information they want. It doesn't actually happen, as he spills the beans before the deed is done. It's left open whether it was a scare tactic or a real possibility]].
* FakingTheDead: [[spoiler: The president's handlers decide to fake the death of the daughter to draw attention away from an affair he was having, which could make him lose a lot of popularity with the public. Also Bobby does this to get away from the sniper who has him pinned down.]]
* MametSpeak: Being a Mamet film, this is expected. Also combined with a lot of SpySpeak.
* MasterOfDisguise: Bobby doesn't change much of his physical appearance, aside from his clothes, when he occasionally takes on a different role. His mannerisms and way of speaking, though, are done in a way that's likely to manipulate others and fit the situation.
* NoHoldsBarredBeatdown: Bobby roughs up Jerry and breaks his arm in order to get information from him.
* RedOniBlueOni: Though perhaps not quite as close as other examples, Bobby Scott could be seen as Blue Oni and Curtis as Red Oni.
* SexSlave: [[spoiler:The kidnapped daughter is forced into sex slavery in Dubai, though how much happened before she gets rescued is uncertain.]]
* StagedShooting: Bobby stages the shooting of a police officer and gas station owner to fool two convicts into thinking he's a criminal.
* ViewersAreGeniuses: This movie is notable for not explaining many key details about what is occurring and simply showing things from the perspective of the characters without detail which forces the audience to figure out what exactly is occurring.