An untitled Sonic the Hedgehog
film project is currently in production at Columbia Pictures
. The film was first hinted in December 2013, when Sony Pictures registered three domain names related to a potential film based on the Sonic the Hedgehog
franchise. The project was officially announced
by Sony in June of the following year. It is expected to be a live-action/CGI hybrid film and will be produced by Neal H. Moritz, of The Fast and the Furious
fame, with much of the animation done by Sega
's own Marza Animation Planet studio. The screenplay, centered on a storyline from Upright Citizens Brigade alumni Evan Susser and Van Robichaux, will be written by Blur Studio
alumni Patrick Casey and Josh Miller, the latter of whom is also in talks to direct. Tim Miller, who directed Ryan Reynolds
, is also attached to be executive producer after he bolted from the Deadpool
As the film is in pre-production, a release date has not been laid out, the screenplay is still in writing stage and a plot is yet to be determined, though it is rumored for a 2018 release.Not to be confused with Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie
Please note that while plans are confirmed to exist, most of the information in this article is otherwise based mainly on rumor and hearsay.
This film provides examples of:
- Darker and Edgier: The Tracking Board supposedly claims that this film will get this treatment, although a plot hasn't been written yet.
- Human-Focused Adaptation: Questionable, though possible thanks to the film having been confirmed to have live-action sequences.
- Irony: Fans couldn't resist pointing this out when it came to Sega allowing a studio owned by who was once one of their biggest rivals in the video game console market to co-produce the movie with them.
- Live-Action Adaptation: Expected / rumored to be this and mixed with CGI.
- Roger Rabbit Effect: Also rumored.