''Something New'' is a 2006 romantic drama film starring Simon Baker and Creator/SanaaLathan that examines the taboos surrounding interracial relationships in contemporary America.
High-flying African-American corporate executive Kenya [=McQueen=] (Lathan) is set up on a blind date with white landscape architect Brian Kelly (Baker), but she can't bring herself to stay for the date when she meets up for the first time and realizes he's white. She meets him again, and hires him to do some renovations for her backyard where their initial chemistry turns into romance. However the disapproval of her family and the lack of support from her friends drives them apart, and she meets more acceptable, fellow African-American tax attorney Mark Harper. But something seems missing from the relationship and Kenya is not completely happy...
!!This film provides examples of:
* BadDate: Kenya and Brian's BlindDate does not go well.
* BettyAndVeronica: Mark (Betty) and Brian (Veronica) for Kenya (Archie). Mark has no cultural or color divide to overcome and works a similar professional job and comes from an acceptable social status. Brian does not. [[spoiler: He used to be in advertising, then chucked it for his true career in landscaping.]]
* BiggusDickus: Kenya reveals this about Brian when her girlfriends quiz her about his bedroom skills.
* BlindDate: How Kenya and Brian meet. Does not go well.
* TheCasanova: Kenya's younger brother Nelson.
* CaughtInTheRain: They go home, then have sex.
* DaddysGirl: Kenya, who gets along far better with her father than her mother.
* DancesAndBalls: Kenya is deeply unhappy at being at the cotillion alone. [[spoiler: Bringing Brian there later in his less-than-formal suit shows that she is ready accept him in all aspects of her life]].
* ExpositoryHairstyleChange[=/=]LettingHerHairDown: At Brian's suggestion--and representing the fact that he's getting her to loosen up--Kenya takes off her weave and sports her natural hair. It's a very telling--and ironic--juxtaposition between Caucasian Brian (who wants Kenya to have her natural, kinky hair) and fellow African-American Mark (who wants her to keep artificially straight).
* FriendsWithBenefits: What Kenya's friends think her and Brian's relationship should be.
* GreenThumb: Brian.
* HotMenAtWork: Kenya finds herself getting hot and bothered by the sight of the muscled Brian working in her garden.
* IfYouEverDoAnythingToHurtHer: The boyfriend of Kenya's friend warns Brian about this, telling him that Kenya is like a sister to him and that he hopes Brian is not using her as some sort of "experiment".
* LoveTriangle: Brian, Kenya and Mark.
* MalignedMixedMarriage: Kenya and Brian have enough issues dating. [[spoiler: The ending is them getting married]].
* ParentalMarriageVeto: Its made pretty clear that Kenya's mother would disapprove of a relationship with Brian. Her father gives his support to her unconditionally, however, giving her the strength to pursue their relationship.
* RaceForYourLove: The funny thing is, she doesn't need to catch Brian before he goes anywhere, she just needs to tell him immediately that she loves him.
* UptightLovesWild: Kenya and Brian. And there's a realistic amount of conflict too.
* UptownGirl: The high-flying corporate executive Kenya and earthy, working-class Brian.[[spoiler: Nope, subverted. He used to be in advertising before deciding landscaping was his true love]].
* WallBangHer: How Kenya and Brian's first time starts out.