Sleepaway Camp III: Teenage Wasteland
is a Slasher Movie
released in 1989. Shot back-to-back with its predecessor
, it follows Angela infiltrating a group of campers to continue to exact her brand of "niceness".Another sequel
was made... but not without problems.
This film has the examples of:
- Adults Are Useless: The adults don't even notice their campers are rapidly disappearing.
- Although part of this is not because all the adults are useless, but because they'd been split into three teams and separated from one another. Still, the uselessness of two of them is a big reason why they die.
- Alpha Bitch: Cindy
- Carry a Big Stick: Angela kills Jan and Herman by beating them with a stick.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Angela kills one of the female counselors by burying her up the neck and running over her head with a lawnmower.
- Actually, she lifted the mower up and then slammed it down on the counselor's head.
- Dead Person Impersonation: Angela steals Maria's identity to infiltrate the New Horizons Camp.
- Death by Racism: Cindy.
- Decoy Protagonist: The opening makes it seem that we'll be following Maria, but then Angela kills her.
- Dirty Old Man: Herman.
- Eye Scream: A cop gets a syringe in the eye.
- Final Girl: Marcia.
- Fishing for Sole: Angela manages to fish out a hockey mask from the water. Right afterward it's remarked that the date is Saturday the 14th.
- Riff, Snowboy, and pretty much all of the campers.
- Averted by Greg and Anita, who even Angela says they're nice kids. She still kills them anyway, only because she considers them boring.
- Karmic Death: Peter is killed by his own fireworks.
- Nice Guy: Tony.
- Numbered Sequels
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Snowboy.
- Pet the Dog: Angela decides to let Marcia and Tony live at the end of the film. This comes back to bite her in the ass when Marcia attacks and (possibly) kills her.
- Rich Bitch: Cindy
- Shout-Out: Six of the characters are named after The Brady Bunch kids and we also get a few kids named after characters from West Side Story including the disguised Angela going incognito "as Maria"
- Sliding Scale of Comedy and Horror
- Straight Edge Evil: Angela does not smoke, drink, or use illegal drugs and if she catches doing any of those things, look out!
- Summer Campy: Camp New Horizons
- Although technically this film is set in autumn at what USED to be a summer camp.
- Token Minority: Each group of campers has at least one African-American and one Asian-American.
- Unwilling Suspension: Angela does this to Cindy.
- You Killed My Father: Turns out Sean from the second movie had a vengeful father(He is not The Hero so he is killed anticlimacticly after confronting Angela)
- What Happened to the Mouse??: Tawny the reporter confirms the Camp Rolling Hills massacre death count at 19, meaning Molly didn't survive the previous movie.