When you name a school that, this sort of thing is to be expected.
There's Horror in the Halls... Lynching in the Lunchroom... Murder in Metal Shop.Slaughter High
is a British (despite how hard it tries to not look it) Slasher Movie
released in 1986, and made by the people who brought you Pieces
and Don't Open Till Christmas
(and apparently Friday the 13th
, or so they claim). It concerns the misadventures of bully target Marty Rantzen, a nerdy student at Doddsville High. A Deadly Prank
ends up costing Marty his visage, and he is ultimately committed to a mental hospital due to the trauma.
Five years later, and after several unsuccessful attempts to fix his face, Marty escapes, and has a lethal class reunion at the now-closed high school.
The curriculum at Slaughter High includes:
- Accidental Murder: Carol hears someone coming around the corner, and lashes out with an axe, killing Skip.
- Acid Pool: Shirley's death.
- All Just a Dream: The film ends with a bandaged Marty waking up in a hospital bed, leaving it ambiguous as to whether any of the film really happened. Regardless, Marty kills a nurse, takes her uniform, jabs a doctor in the eye with a syringe, then rips his own scarred face apart.
- An Axe to Grind: Skip's death.
- April Fools' Plot: The events of the film take place on April 1.
- Ash Face: The electrocuted Stella.
- Bathtub Scene: Though the water turns into acid.
- Batter Up: Carol bashes Marty with one a few times, then drops it and runs away, allowing Marty to pick it up.
- Curiosity Killed the Cast: Skip gets captured when he investigates the noises by made by Marty's jester cap, and of course Carol and Nancy go looking for him.
- Curtain Camouflage: Used by Skip and Frank for a prank on Carol and Nancy. Marty also enjoys hiding behind a poster of himself, and when Carol tries this in the auditorium, Marty just starts stabbing through the curtains.
- Danger Takes a Backseat: Carl's death.
- Dawson Casting: But one example is the thirty-six or so Caroline Monroe playing the teenaged Carol.
- Death by Irony: Electrocution, jabbing with a javelin, drowning, and (unintentional) burning were all ways they bullied Marty.
- Eye Scream: A doctor gets a syringe in the eye.
- Facial Horror: Marty's disfiguration, and him peeling off a chunk of his own face off in the end.
- Fan Disservice: All nudity ends nightmarishly.
- Gilligan Cut: "All we have to do is stay awake, it'll be a cinch."
- Hooks and Crooks: Digby has his head shoved onto a coat hook.
- Hope Spot: Carl getting to Carol's car, and Nancy getting outside.
- Javelin Thrower: A javelin appears as a weapon throughout, and is used by Marty to stab Carol to death.
- Ominous Fog: A classroom fills with it, once Marty completely loses it.
- Overcrank: Repeatedly, including on when a man gets a syringe in the eye.
- Peek-A-Boo Corpse: The door Digby's body is nailed to swings open when Carol walks past it, and Susan's corpse swings down as she is exploring.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: The scrawny Marty uses just one hand to lift Digby.
- Potty Failure: "You bastard, I wet myself!"
- Precision F-Strike: "I showed ya! April Fools! April fucking Fools, motherfuckers!"
- Psychotic Smirk: The film ends on a shot of Marty's as he pulls a piece of his own face off.
- Road Apples:
Joe: "Oh, shit!"
Joe: "... Dog shit."
- Recut: The initial UK release was trimmed slightly.
- Revised Ending: The original ending for the film had the zombies of Marty's victims lunging at him before cutting to the credits, but the hospital coda was added on by another director.
- Roses Are Red, Violets Are Blue: The first part of the rhyme can be seen in Marty's yearbook, but the rest is obscured.
- Shout-Out: Joe scares Stella with a hockey mask ("Who'd you think I was, Jason?") as we get a blaring sting from the Friday the 13th series.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Skip and Frank somehow reaching the washroom before Carol and Nancy.
- Stern Teacher: Coach, who punishes Marty's tormentors, but doesn't seem that sympathetic towards him.
- Stuff Blowing Up: On the Title In, and when the chemistry lab goes up in flames along with Marty.
- Tempting Fate: "It should be fun. Besides, what have we got to lose?"
- Title In: 1 April. Fool.s Day.
- Token Minority: Shirley (asian) and Digby (black).
- Too Dumb to Live: Please people, stop wandering off alone. Damnit Carol, quit dropping weapons, especially right next to Marty.
- Window Pain: A brick gets thrown trough the gymnasium window, as a part of yet another elaborate prank on Marty.
- Your Cheating Heart: Stella cheats on Joe with Frank.
- You Should Have Died Instead: "If you hadn't taken Marty into the showers, none of this would have happened! It's you two he's after, nobody else! Stella, Frank, Joe, none of them should have died, it should have been you two! You both should be dead!"
- Zombie Gait: Done by Joe.