Film / Sinister Six
was a proposed installment to The Amazing Spider-Man Series
that is either stuck in Development Hell
(to be fit into the Marvel Cinematic Universe
) or has been cancelled entirely. The movie was to be directed by Drew Goddard, and was originally scheduled for a November 11, 2016 release date. The roster of villains for the film varied from source to source, with potential candidates including Green Goblin (Harry Osborn), Doctor Octopus, Sandman, Vulture, Kraven The Hunter, Mysterio, Rhino, Scorpia (a Gender Flipped
version of Scorpion), and Venom. A potential plot leaked after Sony was hacked involved a merger of this film with the Venom: Carnage
spinoff, with Spider-Man teaming up with the Sinister Six to defeat either Venom or Carnage, and in the case of the latter Peter would wear the black suit and pass it off to Eddie Brock at the end of the film. Black Cat and Dr. Curt Connors were also involved in one draft of the script, with Electro, Norman Osborn, and Gustav Fiers mentioned in passing.
News of the film adaptation of the DC Comics
property Suicide Squad (2016)
, which has a similar premise to this movie and was slated for a release date earlier in 2016, put the film's original release date in jeopardy. Shortly after the announcement of DC's movie came the announcement that Sony would be sharing the rights of the Spider-Man
franchise with Marvel (and integrating Spider-Man into the MCU via a reboot). As a result, production on this movie has been brought to a complete halt. Some report that the film may not happen at all and that Sony is trying to save face by letting the project fade into obscurity, that it will serve as a back-up plan in case Marvel's deal doesn't work out, that it will be a spin-off set in the MCU, or that it will even be used as a basis for Marvel Studios's 2017 Spider-Man
movie. (That being said, the fourth season of Ultimate Spider-Man
was still re-named
around the time this movie originally would have been released.)
In any case, news on the film dissipated shortly after the deal was announced, with the focus shifting toward the MCU movie, Spider-Man: Homecoming
. Drew Goddard, who was set to direct this movie is, as of September 2015
no longer working on it, making it look as though Sinister Six
has become another case of What Could Have Been
in the long history of superhero movies.
The hypothetical Sinister Six movie would have contained examples of:
- Adaptation Distillation: The team seemed to be a combination of the Sinister Six (obviously) and the obscure, short-lived superhero team The Outlaws, which consisted of reformed Spider-Man villains.
- Adaptation Origin Connection: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 showed that tech the other villains will use being produced by Oscorp. It was joked before but now it's official: making supervillains is Oscorp's main aim, and they really are responsible for the entire Spidey Rogues Gallery.
- The Atoner: Sinister Six was apparently supposed to be a Redemption Quest story for at least one character.
- Villain Episode: The first of the planned spin-off films to focus entirely on the villains of Spider-Man.
- Villain Protagonist: With the story allegedly focused on a Redemption Quest, the Six will be a more sympathetic example than they could have been.