Film: Sinister Six
Sinister Six was a proposed installment to The Amazing Spider-Man Series that is either stuck in Development Hell (to be fit into the Marvel Cinematic Universe) or has been cancelled entirely. The movie was to be directed by Drew Goddard, and was originally scheduled for a November 11, 2016 release date. The roster of villains for the film varied from source to source, with potential candidates including Green Goblin (Harry Osborn), Doctor Octopus, Sandman, Vulture, Kraven The Hunter, Mysterio, Rhino, Scorpia (a Gender Flipped version of Scorpion), and Venom. A potential plot leaked after Sony was hacked involved a merger of this film with the Venom: Carnage spinoff, with Spider-Man teaming up with the Sinister Six to defeat either Venom or Carnage, and in the case of the latter Peter would wear the black suit and pass it off to Eddie Brock at the end of the film. Black Cat and Dr. Curt Connors were also involved in one draft of the script, with Electro, Norman Osborn, and Gustav Fiers mentioned in passing.News of the film adaptation of the DC Comics property Suicide Squad, which has a similar premise to this movie and was slated for a release date earlier in 2016, put the film's original release date in jeopardy. The announcement that Sony would be sharing the rights of the Spider-Man franchise with Marvel (and integrating Spider-Man into the MCU via a reboot) has put production on this movie to a complete halt. Some report that the film may not happen at all and that Sony is trying to save face by letting the project fade into obscurity, that it will serve as a back-up plan in case Marvel's deal doesn't work out, that it will be a spin-off set in the MCU, or that it will even be used as a basis for Marvel Studios's 2017 Spider-Man movie. In any case, news on the film dissipated shortly after the deal was announced, with the focus shifting toward the MCU Spider-Man movie. Drew Goddard, who was set to direct this movie, is as of September 2015 no longer working on it, making it look as though Sinister Six has become another case of What Could Have Been in the long history of superhero movies.
Sinister Six contains examples of:
- Adaptation Distillation: The team seems to be a combination of the Sinister Six (obviously) and the obscure, shortlived superhero team The Outlaws, which consisted of reformed Spider-Man villains.
- Adaptation Origin Connection: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 showed that tech the other villains will use being produced by Oscorp. It was joked before but now it's official: making supervillains is Oscorp's main aim, and they really are responsible for the entire Spidey Rogues Gallery.
- The Atoner: Sinister Six is apparently supposed to be a Redemption Quest story.
- Human Popsicle: Norman Osborn is being preserved this way, according to supplementary material from The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
- Villain Episode: The first of the planned spin-off films to focus entirely on the villains of Spider-Man.
- Villain Protagonist: With the story allegedly focused on a Redemption Quest, the Six will be a more sympathetic example than they could have been.