A 2008 sports-comedy, starring Will Ferrell
, Woody Harrelson, and Andre Benjamin.
Jackie Moon, a One-Hit Wonder
singer during the mid 1970s, is the owner/coach/player of the ABA's floundering Flint Tropics. Further problems arise, when the NBA and ABA announce a merger. The NBA want four teams from the ABA and the Tropics is not among them. With his team in danger of being dissolved, Jackie embarks on a publicity spree, to get into the playoffs, and save the Tropics.
Tropes featured in this film.
- Alternate History
- Aluminum Christmas Trees: One of the Tropics' more outlandish promotional stunts has Jackie wrestling a bear after a game. ABA teams actually hosted man vs. bear wrestling matches on game days to lure in fans.
- Anachronism Stew: In one scene, the Tropics are playing against the Anaheim Amigos. In reality, the Amigos had relocated to Los Angeles and became the Stars in 1968.
- I Have Many Nicknames: Clarence Withers has 4 nicknames. As follows: "Jumping" Johnny Johnson, Sugar Dunkerton, Downtown "Funky Stuff" Malone, and Coffee Black.
- Fluffy Cloud Heaven: When Jackie sees his mother.
- Funny Afro: Several. It is set in the 1970s after all.
- Jive Turkey: Turns out calling some a "Jive Turkey" is a very rude insult among Jackie's circle. So much so he tries claiming Cornelius called Lou a cocksucker instead.
- One-Hit Wonder: In-Universe: Jackie's disco hit "Love Me Sexy."
- Open Mouth, Insert Foot: While Jackie and the referee father Pat are arguing, and Pat end up implying he thinks that Jackie's mom went to hell when she died. Jackie goes into Stunned Silence and walks away, along with several others including the announcer who declares he's leaving Pats congregation in disgust.
- Jackie did however start the argument by spewing vulgarities and death threats at Pat, however as a priest what Pat said really hits home.