Film: Semi Pro
A 2008 sports-comedy, starring Will Ferrell, Woody Harrelson, and André Benjamin.Jackie Moon, a One-Hit Wonder singer during the mid 1970s, is the owner/coach/player of the ABA's floundering Flint Tropics. Further problems arise, when the NBA and ABA announce a merger. The NBA want four teams from the ABA and the Tropics is not among them. With his team in danger of being dissolved, Jackie embarks on a publicity spree, to get into the playoffs, and save the Tropics.
Tropes featured in this film.
- Alternate History
- Aluminum Christmas Trees: One of the Tropics' more outlandish promotional stunts has Jackie wrestling a bear after a game. ABA teams actually hosted man vs. bear wrestling matches on game days to lure in fans.
- Anachronism Stew: In one scene, the Tropics are playing against the Anaheim Amigos. In reality, the Amigos had relocated to Los Angeles and became the Stars in 1968.
- Artifact Title: Presumably the Flint Tropics started out in Florida before relocating to Michigan (this also counts as a Historical In-Joke, as many actual ABA teams switched cities during the league's existence).
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Jackie isn't particularly talented as either a player or a coach, but he is quite savvy in marketing.
- I Have Many Nicknames: Clarence Withers has 4 nicknames. As follows: "Jumping" Johnny Johnson, Sugar Dunkerton, Downtown "Funky Stuff" Malone, and Coffee Black.
- Fluffy Cloud Heaven: When Jackie sees his mother.
- Funny Afro: Several. It is set in the 1970s after all.
- Jive Turkey: Turns out calling some a "Jive Turkey" is a very rude insult among Jackie's circle. So much so he tries claiming Cornelius called Lou a cocksucker instead.
- One-Hit Wonder: In-Universe: Jackie's disco hit "Love Me Sexy."
- Open Mouth, Insert Foot: While Jackie and the referee, Father Pat, are arguing, and Father Pat end up implying he thinks that Jackie's mom went to hell when she died. Jackie goes into Stunned Silence and walks away, along with several others including the announcer who declares he's leaving Father Pat's congregation in disgust. Jackie did, however, start the argument by spewing vulgarities and death threats at Father Pat.