My Frank! What big eyes you have!
Now 7 years later, Donnie's youngest sister, Samantha, seemingly alone and lost in the world, has run away from her home shattered by the death of her brother. Drowning in sadness and unable to dream, she has drifted deeper into the darkness of her sleep. And when darkness consumes the starlight, nightmares rule the night...
Sam and Corey are two eighteen year olds on a road trip to California hoping to make it big as dancers there.Along the way their car breaks down in Conejo Springs, a small town in Utah. The town badass
, Randy, comes to their rescue, cigarette
As they end up staying for a while they meet a Donnie look-a-like
running amok in military clothes, a nerdy kid with a rash, a Badass Preacher
and experience many a weird going-on.
The sequel to Donnie Darko no fan will admit exists
. Though the film is widely considered inferior to its predecessor, it does have some features that were praised, such as the stunning cinematography
This film provides examples of:
- Badass Preacher
- Continuity Nod: At the party scene, there is a girl in a white bikini who drapes herself in an American flag. In the original Donnie Darko, Donnie had a poster with a white swimsuit model backgrounded by an American flag.
- Decoy Protagonist: Double Subverted.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Corey calls Sam one at one point.
- Mind Screw: Intended, at least. Unfortunately, so much weird shit happens in this movie that in the end, you just stop thinking about it.
- Nerd Glasses: Jeremy's.
- Retcon: Many things mentioned in S.Darko, such as their family still living in Virginia contradicts the Word of God from the first movie. Samantha also somehow got Donnie's copy of "The Philosophy of Time Travel", complete with Frank drawings by Donnie, even though he only got a copy of the book in the tangent universe in the original.
- Scenery Porn: Really good scenery porn at that!
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Iraq Jack. He claims to have done some bad things during the Gulf War, but nobody seems to take him seriously.
- Stalker with a Crush Jeremy.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: It seems as though all of the male leads were chosen for looking like Donnie Darko.
- The Nineties
- Trailers Always Lie: An early trailer for the movie made it appear as if it would take place during the events of Donnie Darko, only from Samantha's perspective. Doubles as What Could Have Been.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: We never find out if Billy is ever rescued from the abandoned mine or found.
- Wild Teen Party