Not your average romantic comedy, this Setting Update
of the play Cyrano de Bergerac
tells the story of C.D. "Charlie" Bales (Steve Martin
), the long-nosed fire chief of a small quirky town and Roxanne Kowalski (Daryl Hannah
), a visiting astronomy student. Bales, in love with Roxanne from the start but violently self-conscious about his schnozz
, settles for helping a handsome but ditzy
fireman woo her. The results are predictable
, if you know the story
, but the humor surrounding the town and C.D.'s nose set the movie apart.
- The Ace: CD, although his insecurity about his nose still hinders his ability to pursue women.
- As You Know: The film explains why CD can't get a nose job in an early scene where a plastic surgeon reminds him, as if for the hundredth time, that he's allergic to anesthetic.
- Berserk Button: Uh, yeah. The whole nose thing.
- Brainless Beauty/The Ditz: Chris.
- Earpiece Conversation
- Gag Nose: Obviously.
- Hot Scientist: Roxanne
- Jerkass: The drunk skiers at the beginning and the barfly who calls C.D. "big nose" - all of whom are swiftly put in their place.
- Ignore The Disability: "Would you like a little wine with your nose?" and others.
- Insult Backfire/Wrong Insult Offence: A remark from a bar patron on C.D.'s nose causes him to...
- Long List: ...chastise the man for poor insult technique and list off 20 unique nose jokes.
- Loves My Alter Ego
- Meet Cute: CD and Roxanne meet when she's naked and trapped outside. He helps her get back into her home.
- Naked on Arrival: Roxanne the first time C.D. meets her.
- Naked People Trapped Outside: Roxanne gets locked out of her house, and her robe gets caught in the door. There is a brief scene of her using her arm and hand to cover her breasts and crotch.
- Never Heard That One Before: C.D.'s Long List plays with this.
- Offhand Backhand: C.D., after the Long List of jokes, does this to level the Jerkass who insulted him.
- Playing Cyrano
- Self-Deprecation: When yokels make fun of C.D.'s nose, he shows them how much better he can do it himself.
- Setting Update
- Sitting on the Roof: C.D., along with a pudgy kid in one scene
- Spared by the Adaptation
- Stood Up: "I met somebody else and she's real great too..."
- Too Incompetent to Operate a Blanket: The volunteer fire department CD is in charge of. The first time we see the firehouse, CD arrives to find a fire burning in a barrel in the firehouse. This sets him off with an epic "The Reason You Suck" Speech.
C.D.: I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream—and I hope you don't find this too crazy—is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, "Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!" That would be bad.
- Unflinching Walk: After beating up the barfly after the Long List scene, he doesn't bother to look back, only asking Roxanne, "Has he fallen yet?"
- Unfortunate Names:
Roxanne: (Naming the comet she discovered) "Comet Kowalski."
C.D.: "Kowalski"? Why? You've got a chance to give it a beautiful name!"
Roxanne: "That's my name."
C.D.: "It is? Roxanne Kowalski? Oh, heh-heh... sorry."
- Wrong Guy First