Film: Role Models
Role Models is a 2008 American comedy film directed by David Wain about two energy drink salesmen who are ordered to perform 150 hours of community service as punishment for various offenses. For their service, the two men work at a program designed to pair kids with adult role models. The film stars Seann William Scott, Paul Rudd, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Bobb'e J. Thompson, Jane Lynch, Ken Jeong, and Elizabeth Banks.
This film provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Augie's are selfish, judgemental, and highly dismissive of their son and his interests.
- Awesome Moment of Crowning: Subverted. Augie is "king" for about thirty seconds, before Lady Esplin (Sarah) "kills" him and becomes queen instead.
- Reverted when she asks him to be her king. Doubles as a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming.
- Batman Gambit: Danny and Augie pull this off during the Battle Royale. Danny pretends to be wounded, knowing King Argotron will want to finish him personally. Augie takes this opportunity to eliminate the rest of Argotron's guards and face him one-on-one.
- Bland-Name Product: Minotaur, an obvious stand-in for Red Bull
- The Casanova/Lovable Sex Maniac: Wheeler. Ronnie is a junior version of this.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Gail Sweeny.
- Character Development: Danny becomes more willing to do stuff he doesn't normally do and starts to enjoy his life, Wheeler becomes more responsible as a person, Augie becomes more confident and Ronnie becomes less of a foul mouthed douche.
- Deadpan Snarker: Danny. He's played by Paul Rudd, what did you expect?
- Gail would be if any of her snarks made sense.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Gail and her bagel dog.
- Drugs Are Bad: The whole message behind Minotaur's school marketing campaign. Subverted when we see Wheeler smoking a joint.
- Distracted by the Sexy: One thing Wheeler and Ronnie have in common
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Danny won his girlfriend back after he finally began to enjoy his life, Wheeler has a "little brother" of sorts, Augie beat the king of LAIRE and got to be with the girl he liked and Ronnie finally has someone to look up to who won't walk out of his life like his dad did. Oh, and neither Danny or Wheeler have to go to jail because Gail (Woman who runs Sturdy Wings) used to give the judge assigned to their case blowjobs for drugs.
- Freudian Excuse: Ronnie, somewhat. Wheeler uses this to his advantage to bond with him.
- Friendship Denial:Wheeler: "You ready, pal?"Ronnie: "I ain't your pal, vanilla."
Wheeler: "You are a S-H-I-T-T-Y friend.Danny: "I am not your friend."
- And then later with Danny and Wheeler
- Hello, Attorney!: Played by Elizabeth Banks. Hello, indeed.
- Ironic Birthday
- Intercourse with You: Wheeler teaches Ronnie what the songs of KISS are all about.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Danny. The "jerk" part is definitely shown in the barista scene, where he insults the barista who undoubtedly didn't come up with the names.
- LARP: Despite the running cracks by the other characters not involved with LARP until the royale, it is portrayed as a good, if niche/nerdy, way of social interaction, esp. for someone like Augie who doesn't fit in elsewhere.
- Mama Bear: Ronnie's mother describes herself as one of these to Wheeler after Ronnie walked all the way home from a party Wheeler took him to.
- Mouthy Kid: Ronnie, a middle schooler of hilarious retorts and apparently vast cinematographic knowledge.Danny: Pick us up in two hours.
Ronnie: Fuck you, Miss Daisy.
- Only Sane Man: Danny usually plays this role.
- Running Gag: "Love take me down to the streets..."
- The constant gay jokes about the guys who play Laire.
- Ben Affleck.
- Serious Business: LAIRE is the epitome of this trope.
- Suck E. Cheese's
- Talking Is a Free Action: Quite a lot during the battle royale.
- That Came Out Wrong: A running gag is that a character will say something that sounds perverse. Some examples include:"It's my job to service these boys.""Let us gently touch our tips.""Smell that bush"
- Watch It Stoned: When Wheeler and Connie overdose on Ambien and try to have sex
- What the Hell, Hero?: Danny and Wheeler get so many of these it's not funny. The biggest one is when Wheeler took Ronnie to a party and left him with a guy playing XBOX to get laid, then Ronnie left and walked all the way home.