"With a twist. You never see coming."
A 2006 post 9-11 terrorism movie
about a generic guy named Brad and his generic wife named Lexi, who get caught up in a large-scale terrorist attack on Los Angeles
. Informed by the radio that the bombs carried a biological agent, Brad uses duct tape to seal off the house
while Lexi, who was on her way to work, is trapped outside. Brad refuses to let her enter the house, leading to a great deal of hammed-up drama
Supposedly explores how average people
would react to a biological attack.
Contains examples of:
- Artistic License – Biology: Despite being described as a virus in the film, the deadly pathogen behaves much more like bacteria.
- Cruel Twist Ending: By sealing up his house, Brad has created an environment for the virus to mutate into a more deadly variant. He will dies. His wife, sealed outside, will survive.
- Death by Pragmatism / Death by Irony: Brad did what was arguably the right thing by sealing up the house and not letting his wife in. It also results in his death and her survival.
- Downer Ending: Brad dies, but Lexi lives.
- Duct Tape for Everything: Used extensively to seal the house.
- Grey and Gray Morality: Is Brad the bad guy for sealing his wife out of the house? Or is Lexi the bad guy for wanting to come inside and possibly contaminate two other people?
- Heroic Sacrifice: Alvaro dooms himself by leaving the quarantined house to be with his wife. Or did he?
- Incurable Cough of Death: It's one of the early symptoms of the disease, eventually leading to coughing up blood.
- Not Quite The Right Thing: Sealing Lexi outside.
- Psychological Horror / Sadistic Choice: If your loved one was outside, and opening the door would mean you would die, would you open the door?
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog: Because Brad sealed the house, the virus mutated and became lethal, so they kill him.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism: Very, very heavily on the cynicism side.
- The Dog Bites Back: After Brad sealed Lexi outside, she unknowingly gets him back by throwing her cell phone into the house, introducing the contagion.