Reincarnation (aka Rinne) is a 2005 Japanese horror film directed by Takashi Shimizu. Preceded by Infection (Kansen) and Premonition (Yogen), Reincarnation is the third film in producer Takashige Ichise's six part J-Horror Theater series.35 years ago, a series of murders took place in a hotel. A college professor, Omori, had apparently gone mad and, as part of his wish to understand reincarnation, filmed himself killing 11 of the hotel guests and employees, as well as his own children, before committing suicide. In the present day, horror movie director Matsumura decides to make a movie, Melody, about the massacre. As the date of the shoot draws near, Nagisa Sugiura, the actress who is set to star as Professor Omori's daughter, is haunted by the ghosts of the victims and visions of the killings. However, Nagisa is not the only person who is seeing these visions...The film was part of the After Dark Horrorfest film festival.
This film contains examples of:
- Age Lift: In-universe. Omori's daughter was a young child; Nagisa is an adult.
- Creepy Child: The ghost of Omori's daughter.
- Creepy Doll: This film contains the creepiest one you may ever see.
- The Cuckoolander Was Right: Yuka has a reputation as a bit of an oddball due to her claims she has had a past life. As it turns out, she's very much correct.
- Downer Ending: Several of the characters (main and supporting) are killed throughout the course of the film, and Nagisa is driven insane and ends up in a mental institution. To make matters worse, it is implied that Professor Omori's personality takes over hers - thus proving the professor's theory correct.
- Foreshadowing: A couple of blink-and-you'll-miss-it examples: Nagisa touches her throat a couple of times - Professor Omori stabbed himself in the throat. Also, Yayoi touches her chest after Yuka shows off her birthmark - as it turns out, Yayoi is the reincarnation of Omori's daughter... who was stabbed in the chest.
- Gone Horribly Right: Omori's horrific experiment ends up completely proving his theory.
- Kill the Cutie: That is, kill pretty much all of the cuties.
- Marionette Motion: The doll, and the hotel maid's ghost when she's hanging from the ceiling.
- The Reveal: Nagisa is not the reincarnation of Omori's daughter, as is initially believed... but of Omori himself.
- Trailers Always Spoil: Some of the jump scares are included in the trailer, including the one featuring the hotel maid's ghost.