Film: Red Heat
Ridzik: About this pile-of-shit pimp in here. In this country, we try to protect the rights of individuals. It's called the Miranda Act, and it says that you can't even touch his ass.
Danko: I do not want to touch his ass. I want to make him talk!Red Heat is a 1988 action film directed by Walter Hill and produced by Carolco Pictures.After failing to catch Georgian drug dealer Viktor Rostavili (shortened to "Rosta"), who shot his partner in the process, Soviet cop Ivan Danko (Arnold Schwarzenegger) is tasked to follow Rosta into the United States and bring him back. There Danko is forced to be a partner to the loose cannon Chicago cop Art Ridzik (James Belushi), and they both have to learn to work together. It became a minor cult classic in Russia, largely because Ahnold + the Russian langugage = Hilarity Ensues.
This film has examples of:
- The Backwards R: Used on the opening credits.
- Bald Black Leader Guy: Abdul Elijah, leader of The Cleanheads.
- Bottomless Magazines:
- Rosta manages to fire several shots with a single-shot derringer in a row.
- Same with Danko's Smith & Wesson, which can shoot 18 times without reloading.
- Buddy Cop Show: A Stealth Parody thereof.
- California Doubling: Budapest substituted for Russia for some scenes.
- Celebrity Resemblance: One Cleanhead reminds Ridzik about a boxer.Ridzik: You look like Marvin Hagler. I lost money on Hagler!
- Chummy Commies: Ivan Danko passed into history as one of very few heroic Soviet characters in Hollywood cinema.
- Donut Mess with a Cop:Ridzik: I'm gonna get us something from all four food groups: hamburgers, french fries, coffee and doughnuts.
- Fanservice Extra: Plenty of both genders appear in the opening sauna scenes.
- Game of Chicken: The final confrontation with Rosta and the main characters involves them going against each other with buses in a game of chicken.
- Gang of Hats: The Cleanheads are a gang of Scary Black Men with Balds of Evil.
- Guns Akimbo: Rosta during the motel shootout.
- Hand Cannon: Danko's fictional Podbyrin 9.2mm Pistol, made from a .357 Desert Eagle. Later, he has the pistol taken from him and has to switch for a .44 Magnum, which doesn't impress him much.Ridzik: Captain Danko, congratulations. You are now the proud owner of the most powerful handgun in the world.Danko: Soviet Podbyrin, 9.2 millimeter, is world's most powerful handgun.Ridzik: Oh, come on, everybody knows the .44 Magnum is the big boy on the block. Why do you think Dirty Harry uses it?Danko: Who is Dirty Harry?
- High Concept: Soviet / American buddy cop teamup.
- The Informant: Streak, the "pile-of-shit pimp" mentioned in the page quote.
- Market-Based Title: The film's title was changed to character-centric Danko in Italy (with a hammer-and-sickle forming the centre of the D, natch).
- Miranda Rights: Has to be explained to Danko. He doesn't fully get it, but he gets around it when he's harassed later on by a street punk.
- Not Even Bothering with the Accent: Arnold's accent doesn't sound American, which was enough for him to play a Russian.
- Nothing Up My Sleeve: Rosta has a hidden derringer in his sleeve.
- Prophet Eyes: Elijah, who is blind.
- Red Light District: The hotel where Danko is staying is situated in such an area.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Danko has a pet bird and he isn't happy when Ridzik says that it would be more fitting for a girl.
- Shared Universe: With Extreme Prejudice (which was also directed by Walter Hill), as both feature a man named Lupo (and as promised in the other film, he's a Man in White here).
- So Much for Stealth: Ivan Danko is trying to sneak up behind Viktor Rosta when his watch alarm (set to tell him when to feed his pet bird back in Moscow) goes off.
- Two First Names: Abdul Elijah.
- Vodka DrunkenskiCommander Donnelly: Since I figure cops are cops the world over, how do you Soviets deal with all the tension and stress?Danko: Vodka.
- Your Mom: Viktor calls Ridzik a motherfucker in his native language ("Ebi svoju mamu v zadnicu!"In English ). When translating into English, Danko applies Gosh Dang It to Heck! when he tells Ridzik, "He say, 'Go and kiss your mother's behind.'"