Film: Real Women Have Curves
Real Women Have Curves
Carmen: I love you, that's why I'm making you miserable.
is an American movie starring America Ferrera
. The plot revolves around Ana García, a Mexican-American teenager who turns 18 by the start of the movie
. She attends Beverly Hills High School, helps her sister Estela in her dress factory and has to deal with her über-critical mother
who wants her to be more like Estela.
This film provides examples of:
- Badass Grandpa: Ana's grandpa.
- Fat and Proud: the characters in this movie consider themselves beautiful even though they're fat.
- Foreign Cuss Word: a lot of them. For instance:
Carmen: You are a puta!
- Idealized Sex: Averted for Ana and Jimmy; it's handled like, well, two teenagers having sex for the first time.
- Miss Conception: Ana's mother mistakes menopause for a new pregnancy. While a simple misdiagnosis like this wouldn't normally fit the trope, Mama is sufficiently ignorant of her own biology that she needs her (male) doctor to explain what menopause is.
- Parental Favoritism: her mother often says that she'd like Ana to be more like Estela.
- Real Women Have Curves: [invoked] the Trope Namer.
- Spicy Latina: Ana, to some extent.
- Token White: Ana's boyfriend.