"They witnessed an unspeakable act... it may cost them their lives!"Race with the Devil
is a 1975 horror
/road movie starring Peter Fonda and Warren Oates. Best buddies Roger and Frank, a pair of motorcycle mechanics and former dirt bike racers, set out on an RV trip from San Antonio
to Aspen with their wives Kelly and Alice. It's barely a day into the trip, however, when they witness a Satanic cult sacrificing a young woman
under the full moon. Now, the four are running for their lives as the cult chases them across Texas to silence them in a... race with the Devil!
- The Bad Guy Wins
- Bar Brawl: "There goes! First one of the night!"
- Bolivian Army Ending: The heroes are in their RV, surrounded by the cultists and a ring of fire.
- Chair Man Of The Brawl: Used during the Bar Brawl.
- Every Car Is a Pinto: One car blows up in midair when it goes over a bridge railing.
- Evil-Detecting Dog: Kelly's dog Ginger. It gets hanged from the RV's door by the cultists.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: The abundant nudity in the ritual scene. It's quite frankly amazing what qualified for a "PG" rating in The Seventies before the invention of "PG-13".
- "Hey, You!" Haymaker: A variation. Roger calls out to one of the cultists on the roof of the RV, causing him to stand up and get creamed by the overpass.
- Hollywood Satanism
- Honor Before Reason: The reason why Frank doesn't turn around. He just wants to go to Aspen with his wife.
- Human Sacrifice: And possibly a Virgin Sacrifice, too. Also implied to happen to the heroes at the end.
- Mayincatec: According to the books Kelly and Alice steal from the library, the cultists are rooted in an ancient Aztec religion.
- Molotov Cocktail: One of the cultists try use these against the protagonists during a chase scene, but after he falls off Roger takes the bottles and use them against the other cultists.
- Police Are Useless: Sheriff Taylor and his deputies are in league with the cultists, and are covering up the crime.
- Religion of Evil: The Satanic cult.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: The cultists hide a pair of rattlesnakes inside the RV.
- Screaming Woman: Kelly and Alice, unmitigatably so.
- Secret Circle of Secrets
- Spiritual Successor: Drive Angry is basically a modern-day attempt at remaking this film (except both the chaser and the chased are associated with the devil).
- Stepford Smiler: The Hendersons, the couple that the heroes meet at the RV park.
- Tempting Fate: "We don't need anything. We are self-contained, baby!" Turns out the RV isn't so invincible...
- Town with a Dark Secret: The small town that the heroes arrive in after witnessing the sacrifice, and the RV park that they go to later.
- Ultimately extended to the entire state of Texas in the climax, where we learn that apparently everyone in the state is a crazy devil worshipper.
- Unintentional Period Piece: In an early scene, Frank is showing Roger all the features in his $36,000 RV (money that, today, would buy a bare-bones BMW 3-Series). Said features include a color television with stereo sound, a microwave oven, and tons of faux-wood and chrome paneling inside and out.