is a Slasher Movie
from the year 2008. It is a loose remake
of 1980 film with the same name
It is about an ex-teacher named Fenton, who is murderously obsessed with one of his students, played by Brittany Snow
. Managing to escape from the police, he's prepared to get to her at any costs during her senior prom.
This film has the examples of:
- Black Dude Dies First: Averted, very surprisingly. Out of the six main teens, the only two to survive are the Final Girl and the black guy. Even her love interest dies.
- Developing Doomed Characters
- Final Girl: Donna
- Infant Immortality: Averted. Along with her parents getting killed, Donna's little brother got knifed as well (they even show his body).
- Jump Scare: There's a rather infamous example with a lamp.
- Karmic Death: Fenton.
- No Ending: After the cops shoot Fenton, there's nothing else after. No scene where we see what everyone is up to after the incident, no one getting consequences for actions they did, nothing.
- Off Screen Teleportation: Fenton is prone to this.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Fenton manages to avoid the police by shaving his beard. And we're talking about a Perma Stubble beard, not an all-concealing one.
- Police Are Useless: Being fooled by a disguise that consists of getting a shave? Yeah, they're not the brightest cops. And later he fools them with a hat. Sure, they do shoot Fenton dead in the end, but the fact that their idiocy caused a couple of deaths, it doesn't save them much. One of them was smart enough to figure that this guy should have been given the death penalty when he was first caught, but the judge decided imprisonment worked better. Because what could possibly go wrong... Oh Wait.
- Also there's the fact that the escaped killer is known to be obsessed with one single person and they elect not to tell that person since it would...ruin her prom night? In most situations they'd track the person down and get them to a more secure location.
- Serious Business: The prom for the town, apparently. There's a red carpet, people all holding signs congratulating the kids... Hell, he police are reluctant to interrupt it over an escaped serial killer obsessed with one of the attendees.
- Stealth Hi/Bye