Horror has a new home.Prison is a special effects extragavanza horror film by Renny Harlin, released in the year 1988.The film opens with the title prison, Wyoming State Penitentiary, being opened again after 20 years. When rebuilding starts, a wrathful spirit is released which starts to cause mayhem around the premises, seeking those who had wronged him in the past.
This film features the examples of:
- Agony of the Feet: Cresus shoots his foot to get in the infirmary.
- Anti-Hero: Prisoner Burke. It helps that he's more of a thief than hardened criminal. The plot makes a huge deal about how he looks so much like the dead prisoner Charlie but in fact Burke never gets possessed or has a part in Charlie's revenge. He's more of a distraction towards Sharpe who focuses his anger towards Burke rather than make the not-too-crazy conclusion that Charlie's ghost is back and pissed.
- Burn Baby Burn: Warden Sharpe burns all the inmates mattresses at one point to weed out Rabbitt's supposed killer.
- Captivity Harmonica: And with it a whole band of other instruments.
- Catapult Nightmare: Sharpe waking up from the opening dream.
- The Dog Bites Back: Rhino's cellmate.
- Explosive Instrumentation: After Charlie relays the message "The prison dies tonight" to Katherine's computer, it explodes.
- Great Escape: Attempted by Rabbitt couple times. All the inmates try it towards the ending.
- Groin Attack: After Rhino tells Burke to join his in-prison dealings or else, Burke grabs his balls to kindly suggest that they both would mind their own businesses.
- Heart Beat Soundtrack: Heard in the opening.
- Hellhole Prison: Wyoming State Penitentiary turn into one by the end.
- Identical Grandson: According to Word of God, Burke is Charlie Forsythe's son.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Rhino is impaled by a pickaxe.
- Institutional Apparel: Inmates wear jeans and light-blue shirts.
- Ironic Nickname: Riddle, whose nickname is Tiny.
- It Won't Turn Off: Katherine notices this when Charlie's spirit enters her room to giver her his first message.
- Large Ham: Lane Smith as Warden Sharpe.
- Lightning Can Do Anything: It can possess barbed wire, pipes, machine guns...
- Lock Down: Ordered by Sharpe when things are getting out of control.
- Karmic Death: Several but especially the Warden.
- Kill It with Fire: Hershey's death.
- Nightmare Dreams: Warden Sharpe is plagued by his past crimes.
- The Old Convict: Cresus.
- One-Word Title
- Peek-A-Boo Corpse: Rabbitt's mutilated corpse drops through the roof of cafeteria.
- Prison Riot: As the ghost wreaks havoc, the prisoners grow more frustrated, culminating in a full-blown riot.
- Psycho Electro: Charlie Forsythe.
- Railing Kill: Kramer flies over the railing when he gets electrocuted.
- Rain of Blood: How Katherine notices one of the dead guards.
- Token Girl: Katherine.
- Vertigo Effect: Shown when Sharpe handling the bullets for his revolver.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: We don't find out if the other prisoners survived Charlie's rampage.
- You Look Familiar: It's quickly noted by both Warden Sharpe and one of the older prisoners who knows what Sharpe did to Charlie how much Burke looks a lot like long-dead Charlie Forsythe...