Princess Protection Program
is a Disney Channel original movie starring Selena Gomez
and Demi Lovato
. When a tiny country is invaded by a dictator, a young Princess, Rosalinda (Demi Lovato), is taken into custody by the Princess Protection Program. She is whisked away to rural Louisiana where she must learn the ins and outs of behaving like a normal American teenager. In the process of adapting to her new life, Rosie gives her new friend and roommate, Carter (Selena Gomez), a few lessons in how to act with royal aplomb.
Tropes present in this movie:
- All-Loving Hero: Rosie.
- Alpha Bitch: Chelsea.
- Backstabbing the Alpha Bitch: Near the end, Chelsea's Girl Posse, including her second-in-command, Brooke, decide they've had it with Chelsea's bad attitude and hang out with Carter and Rosie.
- Banana Republic: General Kane's dominion of Costa Estrella, into which he hopes to absorb the Kingdom of Costa Luna.
- California Doubling: The film takes place in Louisiana, but was filmed in Puerto Rico.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Mr. Elegante, who is introduced early in the movie as Rosalinda's royal dress maker. Carter later contacts him because she needs his help with her plan to prevent General Kane from capturing Rosie.
- Cool Loser: Carter
- Cunning Linguist: Rosie, who speaks English, French, Italian, Spanish and Japanese fluently.
- Deadpan Snarker: Carter, though she's not nice about it at first.
- Did You Think I Can't Feel?: Not until Carter arrives to the dance in a beautiful dress does Donny finally notice her, when she was practically invisible to him before. She chews him out for being an asshole - "Before I put on this dress, you couldn't even remember my name." - and turns him down for Ed.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Ed to Carter until the end.
- Dull Surprise: Compared to her acting in Wizards of Waverly Place, Selena Gomez did not seem to be having much fun with her role in this movie.
- Everything's Better with Princesses
- Gratuitous Spanish: In addition to the odd choice of making Rosie's homeland Spanish-speaking, she reverts to Spanish at times when it makes absolutely no sense to do so (e.g., asking Carter where the bathroom is).
- Harmless Villain: He probably wasn't supposed to be this, but can anyone really take General Kane seriously? He doesn't really do anything threatening!
- Hey, It's That Girl: Chelsea the Alpha Bitch is played by Jamie Chung, of all people.
- Hidden in Plain Sight: Louisiana seems like a pretty obvious place to hide a princess, but that's the whole point!
- Important Haircut: Rosalinda gets one early in the movie.
- Jerkass: Carter at first, also Chelsea and Donny.
- Large Ham: General Magnus Kane, big time.
- Laughably Evil: Magnus Kane again.
- Masquerade Ball: The homecoming dance was not originally supposed to be one of these, but Carter manages to turn it into one as part of her plan to protect Rosie.
- Missing Mom: Carter's mother is never so much as mentioned.
- The Mountains of Louisiana: The movie was filmed on the mountainous island of Puerto Rico. Unfortunately, it takes place in Louisiana, where any hills in proximity to a bayou rise no higher than about 10 feet (3 meters).
- No Social Skills: Rosalinda was raised by royalty and doesn't know anything about how American teens act.
- Princesses Prefer Pink: This actually becomes a plot point.
- Relatively Flimsy Excuse: Carter is told to pretend that Rosalinda/Rosie is her cousin.
- Satellite Love Interest: So why, exactly, is Carter into Donny?
- Theme Naming: Costa Luna and Costa Estrella mean "Moon Coast" and "Star Coast", respectively.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Carter and Rosie.
- Tomboyish Name: Carter.
- Turn the Other Cheek: According to Rosie, this is one of the principles a princess is supposed to live by, which she demonstrates when she doesn't lash out against Chelsea for humiliating her. Carter, on the other hand, isn't having any of that, aptly pointing out that she isn't a princess.
- Where the hell is Costa Luna?