A 2009 Lifetime movie based on the true story of Bobby Griffith.Bobby is 18 years old, lives with his loving family, goes to church, and... is gay. When his mother (Sigourney Weaver) finds out, she attempts to cure Bobby with prayers and psychiatric help.None of it works, of course, and Bobby sinks deeper into depression and self-loathing. He finally kills himself... which causes his mother to reevaluate her beliefs about homosexuality.
- An Aesop: Parents, telling your child that he/she is inherently sinful because he/she is gay is bad, and may drive your child to suicide.
- Based on a True Story
- Cure Your Gays: Mary Griffith's strategy, which drives her son to suicide.
- Heel Realization: Mary Griffith.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Bobby.
- Redemption Quest: Mary Griffith, who became a gay rights activist after Bobby's death.
- Trailers Always Spoil: Basically, all the important points in the movie were in the trailer.
- Where Everybody Knows Your Flame: Bobby pays a visit to a local gay bar in his town.