"Always bet on black."This film, directed by Kevin Hooks and released in 1992, was the vehicle that solidified Wesley Snipes' career as an action hero.An infamous terrorist named Charles Rane (Bruce Payne) has evaded capture for a long time by being extremely clever and ruthless. Rane hijacks a commercial airline plane with a security specialist on board named John Cutter (Snipes). Now Cutter must fight back and stop Charles's "Rane of terror" amongst the passengers.
This film provides examples of:
- Berserk Button: Mentioning Rane's childhood.
- Big Bad: Charles Rane.
- "Die Hard" on an X: Die Hard on a plane! This is the one that didn't have Harrison Ford.
- Disney Villain Death: Rane.
- Finger Gun: While imprisoned, Rane notices a child doing this. He proceeds to do it back, revealing his handcuffs and scaring the child half to death.
- Made of Iron: Rane no-sells several shots to the crotch during his final fight with Cutter.
- Madness Mantra: Charles Rane is not insane.
- Mistaken for Terrorist: Cutter is at first thanks to Rane fooling the police into thinking he worked for him.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown
- Stuffed into the Fridge: Cutter's wife was killed in convenience store robbery shown via flashback.
- Terrorists Without a Cause: The movie implies that Charles Rane enjoys causing mayhem for his own amusement rather than any long term goals.