Paranoia is a 2013 American thriller film directed by Robert Luketic, with a screenplay written by Barry L. Levy and Jason Dean Hall, based on the 2004 novel of the same name
by Joseph Finder, and starring Liam Hemsworth, Gary Oldman, Amber Heard and Harrison Ford.
Definitely not to be confused with the Tabletop RPG
of the same name, though that would probably have been a better source for film material
. Also not to be confused with the 2011 movie
written by and starring Brad Jones
- Adaptation Decay: The triumph of Goddard and reveal that he was behind the whole plan, the subtleties of doing better in a corporate world, the business side of Goddard as he tries to keep his company afloat, the death of Frank Cassidy, and the reveal that Emma Jennings (Who also was renamed from Alana) as in on it were all cut out of the film.
- Adaptational Heroism: Emma Jennings is now a completely innocent victim and romance interest of Adam, instead of being one of the players working for Jock playing Adam the whole time.
- Frank Cassidy is made into a wise old mentor who was right the entire time and steers Adam the correct way, instead of being a man lost in his own world, selfish, angry, and bitter at where he landed himself due to his actions who eventually dies of a heart attack.
- Adaptation Name Change: Meechum's first name is changed from Alfred to Miles in the movie.
- Adaptational Villainy: Jock Goddard loses most of his concern and caring for others, his noble business sense, and liking for Adam. Instead, he's just another villain out to get whatever he wants, using Adam as a tool.
- Big Bad Ensemble: Nicholas Wyatt and Jock Goddard.
- The Mole: Adam Cassidy is forced into this role by Miles Meechum
- Spared by the Adaptation: Frank Cassidy's horrible lifestyle does not kill him in the film, and instead he is shown as the wise mentor, instead of the old fool he was in the book.