One Night at McCool's
is a 2001 comedy film directed by Harald Zwart
and starring Liv Tyler
, Matt Dillon, Paul Reiser and John Goodman.
Randy (Dillon), a down-on-his-luck bartender at the epononymous McCool's has his life turned upside down when he encounters seductress Jewel Valentine
(Tyler), whom he saves from what initially seems to be her abusive boyfriend Utah. After a turn of events ends up with Utah murdered, the two become a couple. However, not long afterwards, two more men; Randy's cousin Carl (Resier) who is a sadomasochistic lawyer, and police detective Dehling (Goodman) who is investigating Utah's murder and grieving the death of his late wife; also develop obsessions with Jewel. The three men develop wildly different opinions of who Jewel is and what she is like
, and the film primarily consists of the three recounting their personal interpretations of various events pertaining to her.
This film provides examples of:
- Attempted Rape: Greg had attempted this on Jewel, but was unable to do so as Jewel had fought back against him, leading to him getting accidentally killed.
- Black Comedy: Only Randy, Jewel, and the hitman survive the climax.
- California Doubling: Takes place in St. Louis, Missouri, but was filmed in San Francisco. St. Louis does not look like San Francisco. At all.
- Cut Himself Shaving: Jewel received a black eye in an accident. A police officer later sees her at her boyfriend's house; he immediately assumes that the boyfriend had beat her and kicks him out of his own house. The boyfriend keeps imploring her to tell the officer the truth, but she says absolutely nothing the entire time because she's a Manipulative Bitch.
- Gaussian Girl: Jewel, the havoc wreaking femme fatale, is shown this way when each of the three guys see her for the first time. She's played by Liv Tyler, who just has one of those faces.
- Groin Attack: Halfway through the movie, Jewel accompanies a man named Greg back to his own home. When Greg attempts to have his way with her, Jewel refuses to do so, leading to her getting slapped by Greg from upon his bed and as Greg tells Jewel that he's gonna enjoy himself upon her (a.k.a. Attempted Rape), Jewel gets pissed and proceeds to kick him in the groin with her right leg before throwing a right uppercut punch against him and then using both of her feet to knock him back away from her.
- "Rashomon"-Style: Three different male characters relate their often conflicting impressions of Liv Tyler's character Jewel, revealing the particular brand of misogyny present in each one.
- Shout-Out: To the other Michael Douglas' role in Falling Down.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: Done with the Village People's song "YMCA" being played to a crazy shootout scene
- Take a Moment to Catch Your Death: At the end, Carl's character escapes a shootout between Dehling and Utah's twin brother, and runs across a street screaming an elated "Thank you God!", only to have a dumpster dropped on his head.
- The Vamp: Jewel