One Got Fat is a 1963 bicycle safety film narrated by Edward Everett Horton. In the film, ten friends who are children with monkey masks and tails, plan on going to the park for a picnic. They all ride there on their bikes, but each one meets a different fate on their way to the park as a result of their failure to follow specific bike safety rules (like not making hand signals, not reading traffic signs, not riding with traffic, riding double, or riding on the sidewalk). One by one, each of the friends makes a mistake and suffers an interesting fate. In the end only one of the friends (who not only followed all the bike safety rules, but is also a normal human, whose face is not shown until the very end) makes it to the park and eats all the food by himself. Thus, as the title says, "One got fat!"
. It can be viewed here
. Also available as a RiffTrax VOD short.
- The Ace: Phillip Floogal is mentioned as being a star athlete, the class president, an honor student and having the handsomest profile in school.
- Agony of de Feet: One of the monkeys, due to having his bike stolen (he forgot to get a license, so the police had nothing to go on), is forced to run after his friends. He eventually collapses when his feet wear out.
- Big Eater: Based on his body type and the size of his lunch bag, it's safe to assume that "Slim" Jim Maguffny is one of these.
- Bloodless Carnage
- Can't Get Away with Nuthin' : Rooty-Toot Jasperson gets hit by a car after failing to make one hand signal after his arm gets tired.
- Catch Phrase: "Right? Right."
- Chekhov's Gunman: Orville Slump
- Cozy Voice for Catastrophes: Horton's narration is always cheerful, even while the kids are being injured or possibly killed.
- Deadpan Snarker: Horton when anybody in the group is killed or injured.
- Edible Theme Naming: Filbert Bagel and Mossby Pomegranate. Also, there's Slim Jim Maguffny, though that one may have been unintentional.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: Averted, as their monkey masks are terrifying.
- Expressive Mask: Some of the masks change when the characters meet their ends. It's pretty terryfying.◊
- Fan Nickname: Phillip Floogal has "Pimp Chimp" because of his hat.
- Final Girl: Gender Flipped, as Orville is the sole survivor.
- Human All Along: The Reveal of Orville at the end, but thanks to bad camera placement after Slim and Trigby's demises, you can see his face earlier than that.
- Hit Flash
- Humans Are Good: Orville, the only one who followed all the bicycle safety rules, is revealed at the end to be a human.
- Innocent Innuendo: "Slim knew that his big sack would be hard to handle."
- Jerkass Gods: This is one interpretation of the narrator. This is most apparent when a steamroller just happens to come by at exactly the right moment to run over Filbert Bagel (the one who neglects to tune up his bike).
- Killed Off for Real: Not explicit, but seeing as how the characters meet fates such as being hit by traffic and getting run over by a goddamned steamroller, it's more than likely that not all of the monkeys survived.
- This is supported by the fact that not all the monkeys are present at the hospital at the end of the film. They're probably at the morgue.
- Male Monkeys Are The Expendable Gender: Played with; there are way more male monkeys in the cast than female, but both of the female monkeys present meet pretty damn final ends.
- Mondegreen: Several of the characters' names are somewhat hard to hear.
- Nice Hat: Rooty-Toot Jasperson, Phillip Floogal, and Stanislaw Hickenbottom each have one.
- Non-Indicative Name: Despite the short being "One Got Fat", it does not refer to Slim Jim.
- Nothing Is Scarier: The kids' accidents are all shown offscreen, covered up with animated stars and flashes and cartoony sound effects.
- Offscreen Crash
- Scare 'Em Straight
- Sickening Crunch: The one who gets run over by a steamroller.
- The Sociopath: Everyone, as they don't seem affected at all by the deaths of their friends.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: The music is cheerful and upbeat despite the fact that the characters are being killed/severely injured
- Token Human: Orville.
- Unfortunate Names: With names like Mossby Pomegranate, Tinkerbell McDillinfiddy, and Rooty-Toot Jasperson, these kids would most likely be subjected to endless bullying in real life.