October Baby is 2011 Christian-themed drama film directed by Andrew and Jon Erwin.The story concerns Hannah (Rachel Hendrix), a 19-year-old college student who learns from her parents Jacob (John Schneider) and Grace (Jennifer Price) that not only was she adopted, but also an abortion survivor. This shakes Hannah to the core, prompting her to go Gene Hunting with the help of her friend Jason (Jason Burkey). The film, despite receiving a limited release, has made a splash with conservative Christian audiences, in part due to its pro-life stance and religious elements. Mainstream reviewers and audiences, on the other hand, balked at the film, with some calling it exploitative and dangerous in its message.
Tropes found in October Baby include...
- Abusive Parents: Jacob is a rare unintentional example of this trope. He lies to Hannah, uses the borderline-suicidal passages in her diary as a pretext for further hospitalization, violates the Hippocratic Oath, pushes her out of relationship with her best friend, and threatens to pull her out of college. All for her own good, mind you.
- Gene Hunting: The gist of the story.
- Good Girls Avoid Abortion
- Happily Adopted: Hannah, at the end.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Jacob, apparently.
- Knight Templar Parent: Jacob.
- There Is Only One Bed: At the hotel where Jason and Hannah check in after their escapade in the water.
- Tough Love: Jacob, depending on your interpretation.