Film / No More Baths
No More Baths
is a 1997 Direct-to-Video
movie, distributed by an independent producer known as Feature Films For Families
When greedy land developers attempt to push a kindly widower off of his property, they receive an unexpected challenge from his ten-year-old neighbor Keegan McPhie in this family-oriented drama that shows a little love can go a long way. After being robbed of his family by a tragic fire, Jake opened his doors and his heart to the children of Glenwood Springs.
Having learned a thing or two about helping others from his parents, who work as legal-aid attorneys, Keagan is troubled to learn that Jake's home is in jeopardy as land developers and government bureaucrats move in to make way for new developments in the neighborhood. Quickly organizing his friends into a powerful but peaceful protest force known as the "Glenwood Springs Kids Corp."
Tropes in the film:
- Adult Child: For a fully grown man, Bud Bildmore is amazingly childish and imature. His wife Charlotte isn't much better.
- Amoral Attorneys: Subverted, both Keegan and Milly's parents are forced to work against Jake during his trial.
- A Simple Plan: The entire scheme to take Jake's lot.
- The kids plan to get eveyone to take notice of Jake's plight.
- Courtroom Antic: A whole lot of kids in a courtroom? Bound to happen.
- Covers Always Lie: The one thing both video and DVD covers have in common, a bunch of kids (who look like they could use a bath) all lined up.
- Darker and Edgier: Compared to most other (FFFF) films.
- Forced to Watch: Many of the kids are forced to watch as Jake is dragged away by police.
- The Lancer: Keegan's sister Milly acts as a kind of second in command during the film.
- Magical Negro: Subverted, Jake is just a regular guy.
- Offscreen Villainy: Bud spent much time off screen trying to force Jake off his lot illegally.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Keegan delievers several during the film, most notably to Buzz.
- Scary Black Man: Subverted. Jake is tall and perhaps slightly scary looking, but gentle and he likes kids.
- The Scrounger: Jake's old house holds all sorts of odds and ends.
- Smoking Gun: The kids clubhouse is the key to saving Jake's lot.