New in Town is a 2009 American romantic comedy film, starring Renée Zellweger.Lucy (Zellweger) is a businesswoman sent from the corporate office in Miami to oversee changes in a factory in Minnesota, where she's also supposed to lay off half the staff. She quickly alienates the locals, particularly the union rep, Ted, with whom she will inevitably fall in love by the end.
This movie contains examples of:
- Curse Cut Short: There's a scene where Lucy is clearly about to curse when some doors close behind her, muffling out all sound. However, her tantrum is still seen through the glass.
- Minnesota Nice: Of the "irritated by constant politeness" variety, with Miami business executive Lucy being assigned to Minnesota to close down the local food processing plant. Of course, the constant niceness of the people there (Blanche being the main example) ends up softening her by the film's end.
- Overprotective Dad: Ted, to Bobby, especially when his little girl is going to her first dance.Ted: Just remember: Anything you do to her, I do to you. (glares menacingly)
- Shot in the Ass: One of the main characters gets shot in the rear when a gun goes off by accident while they are hunting crows.
- Shout-Out: Blanche's last name is "Gunderson", like that of a certain other spunky Minnesotan movie lady.