H.P. Lovecraft's Necronomicon is a 1993 horror Anthology Film directed by Brian Yuzna, Christophe Gans, and Shusuke Kaneko. Jeffrey Combs plays H.P. Lovecraft in the Framing Device as he visits a mysterious monastery to read an edition of the Necronomicon."The Drowned" is about a man inheriting a seaside mansion from his late uncle before finding his uncle's journal and discovering the horrors that took place there."The Cold" is about a young woman moving into a boarding house where she meets a kindly doctor who has been keeping himself immortal by harvesting other people."Whispers" is about a female cop trying to rescue her partner from a killer known as "The Butcher" by tracking him down into the caverns where he hides out.
This film provides examples of:
- The Butcher: The film (which tries to be an anthology of H.P. Lovecraft stuff but has very little to do with anything he wrote) has an episode that starts with cops tracking a Serial Killer called the Butcher, but then the story gets hijacked by pro-life aliens. Apparently, the story was meant to be an adaptation of The Whisperer in Darkness.
- Came Back Wrong: One of the stories is about a man who tries to use the book to bring his wife and daughter back. The ritual seem to work at first- however, the souls of his family have become demons and quickly try to consume him.
- Cosmic Horror Reveal: Not unexpected for a film loosely based on the works of Lovecraft, but one of the segments starts out as an urban crime story with a cop in pursuit of a Serial Killer who hides out in the sewers to save her kidnapped partner. Then she's dumped inside an ancient cavern and it's revealed to all be an elaborate trap by two giant alien bats disguised as humans, and she's impregnated with their kin.
- Face Full of Alien Wing-Wong: In the third segment a group of batlike aliens kidnap people so they can use their brains for reproduction. The female protagonist is told that she has an alien fetus inside her after an All Just a Dream fake-out.
- Framing Device: In the wrap-around segment, H.P. Lovecraft visits an ancient library to read the Tome of Eldritch Lore which contains the stories of the other segments.
- Hope Spot: A female cop looking for her kidnapped colleague is lured into an ancient cavern by two bat-people disguised as humans, as their brethren need her brains to procreate. After praying to God for help and promising to turn her life around, she wakes up from a coma in the hospital with her parents (who resemble the two people from the cave) besides her, who tell her that she's pregnant. But no, she's still in the cave and she's carrying one of the bat-things inside her.
- Nested Story: H.P. Lovecraft himself investigates an ancient book in the Framing Device, reading the stories of the three segments as they happen. In one of these stories, the protagonist finds someone's journals and begins to read them, starting an additional flashback storyline.