is a 2007 comedy film starring Seann William Scott and Billy Bob Thornton.
- Butt Monkey: John, as ever.
- Deadpan Snarker: Woodcock.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Woodcock, again.
- I Banged Your Mom: Certainly implied, since Woodcock is dating John's mom after all.
- John ends up in an unfortunate spot when he breaks into Woodcock's house, just as his mother and Woodcock come home to have sex, while John is trapped under the bed.
- Jerkass: Woodcock, although by the end he is shown to be a Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- John's agent (played by Amy Poehler) is this to insane levels, although she gets a sort-of comeuppance when a rant against John is seen by Tyra Banks and hundreds of viewers on live TV.
- John, although his intentions are good-hearted, gets a few crosses-the-line moments throughout the film, especially near the end.
- Mama Bear: Beverly when Woodcock challenges John to a fight near the end.
- The Millstone: Nedderman.
- Not So Different: In spite of his reasons, John does some pretty selfish things throughout the film, to the point where he's almost as bad as Woodcock.
- Sadist Teacher: Woodcock is the gym teacher from hell. Nedderman even implies that he killed an asthmatic boy by working him too hard. This turns out to not be true, however.
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: You have to feel sorry for John after the years of abuse he endured from Woodcock, but sneaking into Woodcock's house, nearly ruining his mother's chance at happiness, embarrassing Woodcock at a public awards ceremony, challenging him to a fight (and then seriously injuring him) is crossing the line.
- Villain with Good Publicity: John views Woodcock as this, especially when he wins an Educator of the Year award.
- He later realises that Woodcock might just deserve it. As it was John's drive to prove that Woodcock was wrong about him that drove him to become a best selling author.