Monsters Crash The Pajama Party
is a 1965 Horror
-Comedy Short Film
directed by David L. Hewitt that is one of the few artifacts of the era of the Spook Show. These were theatrical presentations that combined films with Audience Participation
, specifically the actors from the film running into the theaters and "attacking" people in the audience. The plot centers around a group of frat boys and sorority initiates having to spend the night in what appears to be an abandoned mansion that is rumored to be a haunted house. Of course
, it is, with a Mad Scientist
conducting experiments with the help of his Mook
, Big G the Gorilla.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
and at IMDB.
"Monsters Crash the Trope Party!":
- Acting for Two: Vic McGee plays both Lt. Hudson and Mad Doctor.
- All Men Are Perverts: One of the girls asks to make sure the place is warm since they won't be "dressed" for the cold, while holding up her red nightgown. One of the guys says, "Igor like sex," and the girl says, "Yeah, we know."
- All Myths Are True
- American Accents: Of the Southern variety
- The Bad Guys Win: No one comes to make the save for the girl at the end.
- Buffy Speak: In the opening credits, which are spoken rather than shown with Big G demonstrating the various actions, the camera is referred to as the "picture-taking machine."
- Credits Gag: As described above. For "producer," Big G is seen holding a bag of money with a dollar sign on it. There are also no closing credits.
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: The Mad Scientist is named "Mad Doctor" and even has it on his lab coat, and is only ever addressed by that name.
- Genre Savvy: "A horror house, like on The Late Show."
- Killer Gorilla: Big G the Gorilla, of course.
- No Ending: Mad Doctor and his team come back with a girl who is supposedly someone from the audience and have her screaming on their table. Big G picks up a mallet and hits a gong that is suspended on the wall. The impact causes him to shake and finally fall down.
- No Fourth Wall: Even before the Audience Participation begins.
- Big G sometimes holds signs reading "FANTASTIC" "INCREDIBLE" and "SPECTACULAR" right up to the camera.
- Miss Petrie calls up Professor Williams to tell him that she's sure that something is wrong, adding, "I read ahead in the script!"
- Mad Doctor tells Big G and his other unnamed Mooks to aim the laser at the theater.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: One of the Mooks is one, though he really doesn't act in any of the traditional ways.
- Transformation Trauma: We see that Mad Doctor has turned Sue into a gorilla, but almost immediately after she's back to normal.
- Wacky Fratboy Hijinx: The guys look for masks to scare the girls, not knowing that something actually scary is really there.
- Was Once a Man: Mad Doctor laughingly threatens to turn Big G back into a human being again.