I warned you not to go out tonight.Maniac
is a horror film from 1980. It was directed by William Lustig (Maniac Cop
) and stars Joe Spinell in the title role.
It follows the exploits of the woman hating
and mommy issues-ridden
psychopath Frank Zito, who wanders streets of The Big Rotten Apple
from a brutal kill to the next, breathing heavily and babbling incoherently all the while.
Film's effects were provided by Tom Savini
, which includes the infamous "Disco Boy Scene" where a man's head explodes
from a close range shotgun blast.
The year 2012 was treated to a remake that was produced and written by Alexandre Aja and which had Elijah Wood
star as the title character. It is mostly the same story, but with the twist that almost the entire film is shot from a first-person perspective.
Tropes in the film:
- Grave Marking Scene: Frank visits his mother's grave near the end.
- Hallucinations: Frank starts having these when Anna hurts him at the funeral.
- Kill 'em All: In the remake.
- Make-Out Point: Disco Boy and Disco Girl drive into one near the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge for some Auto Erotica. Unfortunately, they were followed by Frank.
- Murderous Mannequin: Frank hallucinates being ripped apart by his own mannequins (on which he placed the scalps of his victims) in both versions of the film.
- Mythology Gag: In the remake, Lucie tells Frank that he's “Not what I imagined, I thought you'd be fat with long greasy hair”. This is a reference to Joe Spinell, the actor who played Frank in the original.