Les Valseuses (also known as Going Places in English-speaking countries) is a 1974 French comedy-drama directed by Bertrand Blier, adapted from Blier's own novel, and starring Gérard Depardieu (in his breakthrough role), Patrick Dewaere and Miou-Miou. The film's title is a colloquialism which roughly translates as balls.Jean-Claude (Depardieu) and Pierrot (Dewaere) are two whimsical, aimless young thugs. They harass and assault women, steal money and cars... and alternately charm, fight and sprint their way out of trouble. Marie-Ange (Miou-Miou), a jaded, passive and frigid hairdresser assistant, joins them as lover, cook and mother confessor. She's on her own search for seemingly unattainable sexual pleasure.Because of its explicit sexual content, the film was first rated unsuitable for people under age 18. It was later downrated to 16.
Les Valseuses provides examples of he following tropes:
- Blatant Lies: Jean-Claude is prone to these.
- The Danza: Jeanne Pirolle (played by Jeanne Moreau).
- Driven to Suicide: Jeanne Pirolle. It's not due to Jean-Claude and Pierrot though.
- Everyone Has Standards: The two protagonists steal a car, have a joy ride... and give it back to its owner. Said owner doesn't take it well anyway and ends up shooting Pierrot in the groin.
- Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have: Jeanne Pirolle (Jeanne Moreau). Kind of a case of Playing Gertrude : Jeanne Moreau was only 46 at the time.
- Groin Attack: Pierrot is shot in the testicles. Fortunately for him, the bullet only hit the fat of his leg with minor damages to his testicles.
- Jeanne Pirolle commits suicide by shooting herself in the genitalia.
- Hidden Depths: Jean-Claude and Pierrot may be thugs and crude perverts who harass women, steal money and vehicles, but they're also genuinely shocked when the old woman they made love to with genuine and loving passion commits suicide.
- The Loins Sleep Tonight: Pierrot, while recovering from the shot in his groin. He gets better.
- Lolicon: The two protagonists and Jacqueline at the end of the film.
- Naked in Mink: Marie-Ange the first time she meets Jean-Claude and Pierrot. Her boss forced her to not wear underwears.
- Sexy Discretion Shot: The scene between the two protagonists and Jeanne.
- Sex Slave: Marie-Ange, at the beginning.
- Vehicular Sabotage: Pierrot wants to sabotage the front wheels of the stolen Citroën DS in the hope of exacting revenge for the shot in his groin.