(also known as Going Places
in English-speaking countries) is a 1974 French comedy-drama directed by Bertrand Blier, adapted from Blier's own novel
, and starring Gerard Depardieu
(in his breakthrough role
), Patrick Dewaere and Miou-Miou. The film's title is a colloquialism which roughly translates as balls
Jean-Claude (Depardieu) and Pierrot (Dewaere) are two whimsical, aimless young thugs. They harass and assault women, steal money and cars... and alternately charm, fight and sprint their way out of trouble. Marie-Ange (Miou-Miou), a jaded, passive and frigid hairdresser assistant, joins them as lover, cook and mother confessor. She's on her own search for seemingly unattainable sexual pleasure.
Because of its explicit sexual content, the film was first rated unsuitable for people under age 18. It was later downrated to 16.
Les Valseuses provides examples of he following tropes:
- All Men Are Perverts
- Anti-Hero: The two protagonists.
- Bi the Way: Jean-Claude.
- Black Comedy
- Blatant Lies: Jean-Claude is prone to these.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Jacqueline (Isabelle Huppert).
- Buddy Picture
- The Charmer: Jean-Claude, sometimes.
- Cool Car: CitroŽn DS.
- The Danza: Jeanne Pirolle (played by Jeanne Moreau).
- Driven to Suicide: Jeanne Pirolle. It's not due to Jean-Claude and Pierrot though.
- Emotionless Girl: Marie-Ange, at first.
- Everyone Has Standards: The two protagonists steal a car, have a joy ride... and give it back to its owner. Said owner doesn't take it well anyway and ends up shooting Pierrot in the groin.
- Ghost Town
- Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have: Jeanne Pirolle (Jeanne Moreau). Kind of a case of Playing Gertrude : Jeanne Moreau was only 46 at the time.
- Groin Attack: Pierrot is shot in the testicles. Fortunately for him, the bullet only hit the fat of his leg with minor damages to his testicles.
- Jeanne Pirolle commits suicide by shooting herself in the genitalia.
- Hero Stole My Bike
- Heroes Gone Fishing
- Heterosexual Life-Partners
- Hidden Depths / Character Development: Jean-Claude and Pierrot may be thugs and crude perverts who harass women, steal money and vehicles, but they're also genuinely shocked when the old woman they made love to with genuine and loving passion commits suicide.
- Hypocrite: Pierrot.
- Ice Queen: Marie-Ange, at first.
- Jerkass / Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- The Loins Sleep Tonight: Pierrot, while recovering from the shot in his groin. He gets better.
- Lolicon: The two protagonists and Jacqueline at the end of the film.
- Lovable Rogues
- Lovable Sex Maniacs
- Mood Whiplash
- Pretty in Mink / Naked in Mink: Marie-Ange the first time she meets Jean-Claude and Pierrot. Her boss forced her to not wear underwears.
- Road Movie
- The Seventies
- '70s Hair
- Sexy Discretion Shot: The scene between the two protagonists and Jeanne.
- Sex Slave: Marie-Ange, at the beginning.
- Stocking Filler: Jeanne.
- Three-Way Sex
- Train Escape
- Vehicular Sabotage: Pierrot wants to sabotage the front wheels of the stolen CitroŽn DS in the hope of exacting revenge for the shot in his groin.
- Walking the Earth