"Rien au monde ne leur ferait manquer leur rendez-vous hebdomadaire"note
Starting out as a 1997 feature film (followed by three sequels and currently a spin-off television show), Les Boys
depicts the (mis)adventures of an amateur hockey
The original movie focused on the players of an amateur hockey team (the titular "Boys"), made up of average Joes, and run by pub owner Stan. Stan's a good guy, with one vice - gambling. After losing a substantial amount ($50,000) to his mobster friend Meo, Stan is desperate, and is considering selling his pub ("Chez Stan"). However, Meo's a (relatively) good guy, and tells Stan that if his Boys can beat Meo's team of thugs, then the debt will be settled. If not, Stan loses the pub. After a series of close calls, Les Boys manage to pull out a win, and Stan keeps the pub.
Notable for featuring several popular Quebecois actors: Patrick Huard (Bon Cop, Bad Cop
), Pierre Lebeau (Bon Cop, Bad Cop
), Remy Girard (Insecurity
, The Barbarian Invasions
), Antoine Bertrand, Yvan Ponton (Slap Shot
), Marc Messier and Guy Jodin (Dans une galaxie près de chez vous
)... And that's just for starters!
- Berserk Button: Every so often Popol starts freaking out and screaming that his name is Leopold, damn it!
- Julien and his facial hair. Do not tease him about it!
- Bilingual Bonus: Sometimes the Boys will use "joual" (Quebec slang) while speaking to unsuspecting Anglophones (Alex Kovalev, for example), who will later repeat the phrases (to other Francophones) without knowing their true meanings. Hilarity often ensues.
- Cliff Hanger: The end of the first episode of season three was one, with Meo suddenly staggering around, clutching his chest and collapsing on the ice in the middle of a game. He'd had a heart attack due to his bad eating and smoking habits. He survived and cleaned up his act... somewhat, but suffered from a fear of death for a few episodes until Stan managed to pull him out of it.
- There was later a similar incident with Stan, who collapsed with a heart attack after a fight with Popol. He got better, but had fun taking revenge on Popol (with Meo's help)... Until Popol also had a heart attack!
- Cloudcuckoolander: Julien, Gerry, Dr. Marleau.
- A Day in the Limelight: Each episode usually focuses on one Boy in particular.
- Disappeared Dad: Julien has one, but he recently came back (in search of Julien's money).
- Five-Man Band:
- Handsome Lech: Bob. Full stop. Well, at least until he gets married.
- Henpecked Husband: Gerry.
- The Mafia: Meo. The Quebec Hell's Angels showed up in one episode as well.
- Motor Mouth: Philippe. Good grief.
- Papa Wolf: Stan to Popol.
- Straight Gay: Jean-Charles (who was unceremoniously outed by his boyfriend at the end of the first movie).
- Sudden Sequel Death Syndrome: Fernand, by way of falling down a manhole while going to cash a check.
- True Companions: Even though they may squabble amongst themselves, Les Boys have got each other's backs to the end.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Popol and Julien.