Leonard Part 6
is a 1987 big-screen comedy for Bill Cosby
— and so notoriously bad
that the star himself told people not to see it
. Cosby was contractually obligated to promote the movie. They didn't specify how
he could promote the movie. Cosby appeared on every late night talk show warning people to stay away, and the film ended up becoming a Box Office Bomb
and a huge winner at the Razzie Awards
The story is ostensibly the sixth great adventure of top CIA agent Leonard Parker (Cosby), the others remaining classified for now. Leonard has gained a wide variety of eccentric skills over the years, and now that he's been brought out of retirement to stop a plot by evil vegetarians who plan to train animals to kill people, he'll have to use most all of them to save the day...and his relationships with his ex-wife and daughter, while he's at it.
- Animal Assassin
- Animated Credits Opening: The credits are accompanied by crude animations out of animal drawings.
- Award Bait Song: "Without You", performed by Peabo Bryson (a few years before he became one of the go-to guys for this trope) and Regina Belle. It was actually a radio hit.
- Dance Battler: Leonard's ballet lessons when he was undercover with the Bolshoi ballet helps him when he fights Medusa's minions.
- Evil Is Hammy / Large Ham: Medusa is entertainingly over-the-top.
- Evil Vegetarian: Medusa.
- Food Slap: Leonard ends up wearing most of the meal when he dines with his estranged wife - both times.
- Fruit of The Loon: The film made a point of depicting the vegetarian villain look extra-crazy by having her always eating fruit while she ordered around her mooks and pursuing her wacky plans. Mind you, this is a food-obsessed movie anyway.
Medusa: Grape me!!
- Kitchen Chase: Monroe is shooting at Leonard with a revolver, switches to an uzi, then switches to another revolver, and his shooting "accidentally" opens a bag of coffee beans into a coffee grinder, breaks a couple eggs for frying, and punctures a carton of oil which some eager chefs help themselves to for cooking.
- Product Placement: One scene contains a refrigerator full of Coca-Cola cans (Columbia Pictures' owner at the time), whose labels are all conveniently facing the camera. Elsewhere, a table with a huge stack of Lava Soap bars upon it appears backstage at a theater, and Alka-Seltzer proves vital to the climax. Roger Ebert went into a rant about this while reviewing the film on Siskel And Ebert; see Berserk Button on the series' page for the full quote.
- Retroactive Legacy
- Road Trip Across The Street
- Self-Surgery: Played for laughs as Bill Cosby's character removes a bullet from his own shoulder.
- Un Installment: We never did see Parts 1 through 5... because they were locked up " in the interests of world security".
- Unusual Weapon Mounting
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: The chefs from Leonard's restaurant don't think much of a hitman attempting to murder their boss...
- What Happened to the Mouse?: The May-December Romance between Joan and Giorgio never really gets resolved.
- Your Head Asplode: This happens to one of Medusa's mooks in the climax, as the unexpected-by-anyone result of Leonard forcing him to taste meat.