is a 1996 Slapstick
comedy made by the Farrelly Brothers. It stars Woody Harrelson as Roy Munson, a former top bowler who lost his hand after an attempt to hustle some other bowlers went awry. In the present, Roy leads a pathetic life, forced to have sex with his repulsive landlady just to stay in his lousy apartment. When he discovers Ishmael (Randy Quaid), an Amish
bowling prodigy, Roy sees his chance at getting out of the gutter. He offers to take Ishmael to the bowling championship in Reno, offering Ishmael the prize money to save his family's farm. Along the way, they pick up Claudia (Vanessa Angel), an attractive lady with her own goals.
Kingpin provides examples of the following tropes:
- The Ace: Roy's old partner, Ernie McCracken (Bill Murray)... at first. He later proves himself to be a Broken Ace.
- Breast Attack: Roy does this after Claudia hits him between the legs.
- Camp Straight: Ernie McCracken
- The Casanova: Ernie McCracken again, as he sponsors many fatherless boys in order to get with their single mothers, and is questioned by a reporter about his purported illegimate child.
- Distracted by the Sexy: This becomes the group's main strategy after Claudia joins them.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Or, as Roy puts it...
Roy: Listen, lady, I've done a lot of creepy things in my life. I'm not gonna lower myself into having a fistfight with a girl.
- Farm Boy: Ishmael
- Groin Attack: Claudia does this to Roy.
Roy: You must have really wide feet. You got both of them!
- Ignore the Fanservice: Claudia's method of distracting Ishmael's opponents fails when he bowls against some farmers. It takes a sheep to grab their attention instead.
- Karma Houdini: Zig-zagged. It was McCracken's idea to hustle the bowler who cut off Roy's hand. He fled before Roy was confronted, and went on to become a unbeatable pro bowler, even winning the tournament in the climax. However, Claudia's Bastard Boyfriend Stanley arrives soon after, accusing Roy of stealing his gambling winnings. Roy pins the blame on McCracken, whom Stanley vows to find and kill.
- Last-Second Word Swap: Claudia shows up as Roy is trying to ditch her, which causes him to change the last word of the lie he is telling Ishmael.
Roy: Yeah a big military train derailed and this whole area's in danger of being contaminated by a huge cloud of...shit!
- Ms. Fanservice: Claudia
- Only Known by Their Nickname: McCracken refuses to be addressed by anything but "Ernie" or "Big Ern."
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Roy and Claudia are at each other's throats throughout the film, even engaging in a fistfight. Guess what happens during the ending.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: A love song starts playing when Roy and Claudia have a no-holds-barred smackdown.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: Roy is this at first, until Claudia hits him a couple of times.