Film / Jubilee
"And the world's your oyster, so swallow it. "
was a 1978 film by Derek Jarman, starring Jordan (born Pamela Rooke), Nell Campbell
and Adam Ant
. Queen Elizabeth I asks her court physician, John Dee, to show her what England will be like in the future, with the air spirit Ariel from The Tempest
acting as their guide. The resulting spell propels them 400 years into the future, to find that England has turned into a wasteland riddled by vicious girl gangs and a demented record producer.
This film contains examples of:
- Awesome McCool Name: Amyl Nitrate, Crabs, Mad, Bod, Chaos, Angel and Sphinx.
- Badass Boast: Borgia Ginz has one which is pretty damn good. His performance has to be seen to be believed.
You wanna know my story babe? It's easy. This is the generation which grew up and forgot to lead their lives. They were so busy watching my endless movie. Haha. It's power babe, power. I don't create it, I own it. I sucked and sucked and I sucked. The media became their only reality and I own their world of flickering shadows. BBC, TUC, ITV, ABC, ATV, MGM, KGB, C. of E. You name it, I bought them all... and rearranged the alphabet. Without me they don't exist. <cue evil laugh>
- Bald of Evil: Borgia Ginz is as bald as the day he was born.
- Bi the Way: Most of the major characters seem to be bisexual.
- Camp Gay: Jack Birkett as Borgia Ginz goes above and beyond any gay character in this film. He was also blind, which made his movements even more grand.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Borgia Ginz is one who rules the world (at least in his mind).
- Crapsack World: Future England is a hellhole in which girl gangs roam the streets and slaughter people with near-impunity.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Queen Elizabeth's future reincarnation is Bod, a vicious psychopath.
- Historical Hero Upgrade: With the educational system having become nonexistent, Amyl Nitrate is attempting to compile a new history. She muses that with so few people left to contest her account, she could easily turn Adolf Hitler into a hero and Winston Churchill into a villain if she wanted to.
- Incest Subtext: The twins Angel and Sphinx are extremely close.
- Laughably Evil: Borgia Ginz, again, is this.
- New Media Are Evil: The Punk variation. The modern media has destroyed the minds of the youth due to its complete absence of content.
- Out with a Bang: Bod and Mad kill one of Crabs' paramours just before he reaches orgasm, because Crabs is too stupid to take birth control and they don't need a pregnant girl in their gang.
- Punk Rock: It's in the tagline for the movie, plus Adam Ant's musical performance.
- Really Gets Around: Crabs got her name for a reason...
- Shout-Out: In her opening speech, Amyl Nitrate tells us that her favorite song is "Don't Dream It, Be It", a song that was written for The Rocky Horror Show by co-star Richard O'Brien, who plays court magician John Dee.