Hot to Trot is a 1988 comedy starring Bobcat Goldthwait, Dabney Coleman, and John Candy as the voice of Don, a talking horse.Goldthwait plays Fred P. Chaney, whose mother has died and left him a horse, Don, as well as half ownership of a company, his step father (Coleman) owning the other half and wanting to buy Fred's share, only for Fred to want to work there. Don, the talking horse, is able to give Fred stock market tips, allowing him to become rich.The movie was panned by critics, was a box office bomb, and was a troubled production.
Includes examples of:
- Down to the Last Play: Don wins the race by his teeth.
- Last of His Kind: When Don's father is dying, he wants Don to find a mate so there can be more chosen horses, but Don doesn't want to settle down. While his brother can also talk, his father is worried that he won't find a mate, either.
- Nobody Calls Me "Chicken"!: Well, nobody calls Fred's father-in-law chicken shit, which is what gets him to bet all his horses against Don.
- Take That!: Don gives one to Mister Ed.Don: All horses can understand English, but only the chosen ones can speak it.Fred: What about Mister Ed?Don: Mister Ed? Poo! That's what I think of Mister Ed!
- Talking Animal: Don, his father, and his brother.