In 1977 a little movie called Star Wars
was released. Seven months later came an unlikely follow-up.Hardware Wars
is a 1978 Fan Film
written and directed by Ernie Fosselius. It is a Short Film
parody of A New Hope
, expressed as a movie trailer
. It's not just a low budget, straightforward spoof, though — the underlying gimmick is that all of the spaceships and even some of the characters have been replaced by household appliances and tools; the R2D2 Expy
is a canister vaccuum, the Millenium Falcon
is represented by a steam iron, Star Destroyers by flying toasters and egg whiskers, even Stormtroopers have turned into "Steam Troopers", and more. The silliness simply must be seen to be believed.George Lucas
is apparently on record saying that Hardware Wars
is his favorite Star Wars
"You'll laugh! You'll cry! You'll kiss three tropes goodbye!":
- Conspicuous CG: When the Star Wars Original Trilogy were re-released as a Special Edition, so too was Hardware Wars, with newly added CG effects. Said additions don't really mesh well with the original footage, possibly intentionally so.
- Expospeak Gag
- Fanservice Extra: Gratuitous to the extreme. A picture of a naked woman lying down appears out of nowhere in the middle of an unrelated scene.
- Funny Background Event: During a scene on the Desert Planet, in the background can be briefly seen a woman in a bathing suit, picking up her beach towel and walking away.
- Heroic Sacrifice / Obi-Wan Moment: lampooned:
- Hey, It's That Voice!: narrated by none other than Paul Frees.
- Hong Kong Dub: Even though it's an American film, the dubbing of the dialogue doesn't quite match the movement of the character's mouths.
- May the Farce Be with You: the last lines in the film.
- No Animals Were Harmed: Or killed, for that matter.
- No Ending: The film is presented as a movie trailer, so they never actually get around to the ending.
- Opening Narration: "Meanwhile . . . in another part of the galaxy . . . later that same day."
- Punny Name: Let's see... Artie Deco, Ham Salad, Anne Droid, 4Q-2, Darph Nader, and let's not forget Chewchilla the Wookiee Monster. Not to mention the name of the Bar Band: Slim Chance and Derange Riders.
- In a meta-example, the film studio is credited as "20th Centure Foss".
- Real Trailer, Fake Movie
- Shout-Out: One of the droids says "Here's another fine mess you've gotten us into".
- Special Effect Failure: Invoked; they wanted you to see the strings on the models, and used more lighting on the strings to this end.
- Stylistic Suck: The whole damn thing. Planet Basketball, anyone?
- The Unintelligible: Darph Nader.
- Well, Excuse Me, Princess!: almost word for word.