Film: Happy Accidents
This is a movie that deconstructs the classic Boy Meets Girl trope brilliantly. Ruby's a codependent who always dates men that she needs to fix. Sam is a man with many odd quirks, not least of which includes his story that he traveled back in time to find her. Ruby, caught up in coincidences and her feelings for him, struggles to balance her own needs as well as deciding whether or not to believe him.
- Adorkable: Sam is confused by even the simplest of things and uses the wrong names for items constantly. He's just so charming and sweet when he does.Sam: I brought you roses.Ruby: Those are carnations, Sam!
- Bewarethe Cute Ones: Sam is terrified of tiny dogs.
- Cassandra Truth: Sam tells an actor what the future is like; it's taken as improv.
- Downer Beginning: The first words of the movie are Ruby tearfully asking Sam about a possible murder.
- Embarrassing Cover Up: Sam claims his unhappy childhood is a cover story. Why is it unhappy? Because he couldn't afford a happy one.
- How We Got Here: The first act of the story is framed as Ruby's talk with her therapist.
- I Can Explain: Sam to Ruby when she finds out what he's been sketching throughout the movie.