Film: Hansel and Gretel
Don't go. We'll be good.Hansel & Gretel is a Korean Dark Fantasy/Horror film directed by Yim Pil-Sung.After getting in a car accident, Jung-soon wakes up and meets a mysterious girl who takes him to a fairytale-like house in the middle of the forest, where she lives with her siblings and parents. Everything is bright and colorful, there are toys everywhere and sweets for every meal. Jung-soon is invited to stay with the family but soon discovers that there is no way of leaving and that there is more to the children than meets the eye.Not to be confused with the 2013 Asylum film of the same name.
This movie contain examples of the following tropes:
- Alien Geometries - If you try to leave the house you'll only end up right back.
- And I Must Scream - The deacon's wife is turned into a tree.
- Anti-Villain: Despite his hell of a temper and frequent Kick the Dog moments, Man-bok is ultimately trying to protect his sisters and start a family.
- Babies Ever After
- Bigger on the Inside - The attic stretches on for miles.
- Crapsaccharine World - It's a beautiful house straight out of a fairy tale — just don't think on leaving.
- Creepy Child
- Denied Food as Punishment - What happened to the kids in the orphanage.
- Fingore - Manbok chops off the "father"'s fingers after he feels neglected.
- Fractured Fairy Tale
- I'm a Humanitarian - The children's "father" is cooked and fed to Jung-soon.
- In Name Only - There are certain elements borrowed from Hansel and Gretel but overall the main storyline has little in common with the original fairy tale.
- Ironic Name - The orphanage is called "House of Happy Children".
- Karma Houdini - The kids never receive any punishment for kidnapping and ultimately murdering various "parents".
- Older Than They Look - The kids have been kids for a very long time.
- Orphanage of Fear- The original House of Happy Children.
- Pedophile Priest - The deacon.
- Scenery Porn
- Take Me Instead - When the caretaker takes Jung-soon away to be raped, Young-hee does this.
- Trail of Bread Crumbs - Jung-soon tries this.
- Would Hurt a Child - The deacon (who's also a pedophile). Also the original caretaker of the orphanage.
- Your Mind Makes It Real - "Santa" tells the kids that their dreams will come true if they only imagine it...