Film: Gorillas in the Mist
"You like this ring? You want to keep the hand this ring is on? If I see or hear or smell you anywhere near my gorillas, you'll be writing with your other hand and I'll have a new ashtray."A 1988 film directed by Michael Apted, Gorillas in the Mist starred Sigourney Weaver as Real Life naturalist Dian Fossey. Fossey was one of "Leakey's Angels", at the time the world's leading researchers in the field of primates, inspired by anthropologist Louis Leakey. In the 1960s, she traveled deep into the isolated jungles of Rwanda to study endangered mountain gorillas. Fossey devoted her life to ending poaching at the cost of her relationships with the people around her. Her fight became more and more heated, to the extreme ends of confronting the Rwandan government and eventually burning down a poachers' village, which quickly put her in their crosshairs.
— Dian Fossey
This work features examples of:
- Badass Boast: Dian to Van Vecten: "You like this ring? You want to keep the hand this ring is on? If I see or hear or smell you anywhere near my gorillas, you'll be writing with your other hand and I'll have a new ashtray."
- Badass Bookworm: Dian Fossey.
- Berserk Button: Do not hurt the gorillas when Dian's near.
- Biopic: Of Fossey. While the film uses the title of her own partly autobiographical book, it is also based on other books and articles written after her death. A subplot of the film is Fossey's affair with a National Geographic photographer, which isn't mentioned in her book.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: Or in this case, apes.
- Evil Poacher: Dian has to defend the gorillas from poachers, who come off as this due to Dian being the POV character. They kill Dian in the end.
- Foregone Conclusion: Dian is murdered by poachers.
- Going Native: After 15 years on the mountain, Dian most definitely qualifies.
- Gory Discretion Shot: When Dian is killed in her sleep with a machete, all we see is the killer in shadow and her blood splashing onto a photograph of the gorillas.
- Mama Bear: Dian Fossey came to consider the gorillas her family. So needless to say, she became very protective of them, and when any of them died, she got pissed.
- Motherly Scientist: Dian Fossey.
- Precision F-Strike: After Digit's death, she refers to her team as "fucking wogs". It's a sign of her Sanity Slippage.
- Ripped from the Headlines: Made just a few years after Dian Fossey's murder in December 1985.