[[caption-width-right:300:It's a good idea...until it becomes a bad idea.]]
A 2011 RomanticComedy directed by Will Gluck and starring Music/JustinTimberlake, Creator/MilaKunis and Creator/WoodyHarrelson.
Jamie Rellis (Kunis) is a headhunter ("I prefer corporate recruiter") who lures Dylan Harper (Timberlake), a website art director, to New York to interview for ''GQ''. He takes the job and the pair become close friends, eventually agreeing to have sex -- just sex, with no further attachment -- while they're on a break from romance. They both go through a few other people in the film and deal with issues surrounding their parents.
!! This film provides examples of:
* AffectionateParody: The two leads mock many conventions of traditional romantic comedies and even when [[spoiler: Dylan stages a 'movie like reconciliation at the climax']] he says how impractical it is in real life. The movie still follows the same format and ends the same way.
* AmbiguouslyBrown: Jamie. Justified as her mother cannot remember what ethnicity her absentee father was; possibilities include Greek, Russian, Hispanic and Middle-Eastern. [[note]] In case you're curious, Mila Kunis was born in Ukraine to Jewish parents. [[/note]]
* AsHimself: Shaun White, hilariously.
* BigApplesauce: New York City is basically a character and the differences between New Yorker Jamie and Los Angeles native Dylan are played up.
* BrokenBird: Jamie acknowledges herself as such because of bad previous relationships.
* BrooklynRage: When Jamie swears on the plane-trip to Los Angeles, Dylan informs a couple of noticing passengers that she's from New York.
* BuxomIsBetter: Subverted. When Dylan and Jamie are listing what they like about each other's looks, he mentions her breasts.
-->'''Jamie''': Really? But I think they're so tiny...
-->'''Dylan''': They're still breasts.
* CaliforniaDoubling: Mocked InUniverse via the [[ShowWithinAShow cheesy rom-com]] Dylan and Jamie watch together, among other things that are mocked in that show ("Oh, look, the Empire State Building! Oh, look, the Statue of Liberty!").
* TheCameo: Creator/EmmaStone as Dylan's ex and Timberlake's friend Creator/AndySamberg as Jamie's, as well as Creator/JasonSegel and Creator/RashidaJones as the leads in the movie Jamie and Dylan watch
* CoughSnarkCough: Subverted by Jamie, when Dylan is afraid to climb the Hollywood sign:
-->'''Jamie''': ''(cough)'' Pussy. Oh, sorry. PUSSY!
* DisappearedDad: Jamie has no idea who her father is - mostly because her mother is pretty fuzzy on the details too.
* ExactEavesdropping: When Jamie overhears Annie pressing Dylan about their relationship and he is extremely harsh towards her.
* FakeOutOpening: The movie opens with Dylan and Jamie having a conversation... with each of their respective lovers.
* FreudianExcuse: Both Dylan and Jamie's issues are directly connected to their parents' disastrous attempts at love.
* GallowsHumor: Dylan's father jokes about his Alzheimer's:
-->'''Dylan:''' Did Annie ''(Dylan's sister)'' put you up to this?
-->'''Dylan's father:''' Who's Annie? ''(Dylan looks shocked)'' I'm kidding. What, I can't joke about this?
-->'''Dylan:''' Jesus Christ, dad.
-->'''Dylan's father:''' I don't know what else to do.
* IdealizedSex: Averted at first: there's a lot of direction and negative reactions, and Dylan has to stop once because he has to pee. Played straight later, when Dylan and Jamie have sex during the visit to Dylan's family.
* TheImmodestOrgasm: When Dylan gives her oral, Jamie screams so loud that it freaks him out:
-->'''Dylan:''' What's wrong?
-->'''Dylan:''' Well, when women scream, it can be misconstrued!
-->'''Jamie:''' JUST KEEP GOING!
* InterruptedIntimacy: By Jamie's mom, no less.
* ItsNotYouItsMe: When Dylan's girlfriend, Kayla breaks up with him:
-->'''Kayla:''' It is not you at all.
-->'''Dylan:''' Of course it's me! You can't say that! You're breaking up with me!
-->'''Kayla:''' It's not, it's me! I don't like you anymore!
* JizzedInMyPants: Dylan jokes about it. He mentions that he sneezes when he has an orgasm; later, when he's making out with Jamie, he sneezes in her face.
-->'''Jamie''': Really? Already?
-->'''Dylan''': Just kidding.
* MissingMom: Dylan's mother left his father 10 years before the movie.
* MoodWhiplash: It's all frothy fun and games and witty repartee, until Dylan's dad, who is suffering from Alzheimer's, is introduced. Then the scene dives straight into awkward and heartbreaking.
* TheMountainsOfIllinois: Parodied in the film-within-a-film Jamie and Dylan watch. The characters are riding in a horse-drawn carriage, pointing out New York landmarks with rows of obvious palm trees visible in the background. Also from said film, Los Angeles Union Station representing Grand Central Terminal.
** Averted by the movie itself in that all scenes were shot in either New York City or Los Angeles. However the interior of the New York GQ offices were a set in LA and although they were in NY, the Empire State Building behind Jamie in the opening scene was digitally painted in. This was also the first movie that actors were allowed on the actual Hollywood Sign.
* MistakenForGay: Tommy assumes Dylan is gay when they first meet, and keeps asking Dylan if he is sure that he's not gay.
* NotStayingForBreakfast: Parker, the guy who Jamie starts dating after her she and Dylan stop having sex attempts to do this. Unfortunately for him, Jamie wakes up before him, and catches him on the street.
* TheOneThatGotAway: Near the end of the film, Mr. Harper tells Dylan about his and begs him not to repeat his mistakes.
* ParentsWalkInAtTheWorstTime: Jamie's mother walks on his daughter and Dylan having sex. Dylan and Jamie are creeped out, but she isn't.
** Jamie sure does love her [=iPad=], and both of them their [=iPhones=].
** GQ gets a lot of shots of their logo in the movie as that's where Dylan works.
** Sony Vaio computers and Sony [=TVs=], since Screen Gems is owned by the Sony Corp.
** the same console VG system shows up on several different occasions and in different houses.
** In one cafeteria scene Pepsi drinks are plugged in.
** Dylan insists that "Closing Time" is by Music/ThirdEyeBlind, until the final scene when he finds out it's actually Semisonic.
** Also Jamie blinks when she curses, and Dylan talks about how modern planes "practically land themselves" everytime he is on a plane. In a later scene this is shown to have been picked up from his father.
* SayMyName: Played for laughs when Dylan and Jamie first have sex:
-->'''Dylan:''' Say my name.
-->'''Jamie:''' Dylan Francis Harper Jr.
-->'''Dylan:''' Not my full name.
-->'''Jamie:''' Sorry, I had to fill out a lot of your paperwork.
* SawAWomanInHalf: Dylan's nephew, Sam, who wants to be a magician, attempts to do this trick with Jamie. From the box, she overhears Dylan's harsh remarks about her.
* SarcasmMode: Dylan's [[EstablishingCharacterMoment introduction]] features this, and both leads make heavy use of it.
* ScatterbrainedSenior: Dylan's father, due to Alzheimer's disease, which launches the movie from a raunchy romantic comedy to drama in the scenes he is in.
* SexMontage: After Jamie and Dylan first have sex, they decide not to do it again. However, their resolution doesn't last, and a SexMontage follows.
** In the commentary Mila and Justin refer to it as a "fuck-tage."
* SheIsNotMyGirlfriend: "Fuck buddy" is more appropriate.
* ShipperOnDeck: Dylan's sister, Annie for Dylan and Jamie.
* ShoutOut: [[Creator/MilaKunis Jamie's]] mother changes the nationality of Jamie's [[DisappearedDad father]] [[RunningGag throughout the movie.]] At one point the mother mentions a lover, who reminded her of her daughter's father, having a "Cold War" accent. Mila Kunis was born in the former Soviet Union.
* ShowerOfLove: In a deleted scene, Jamie and Dylan have sex in the shower. Dylan complains that Jamie is wearing a shower cap (because she just got her hair done).
* SittingOnTheRoof: When Jamie feels like being alone, she goes to a skyscraper rooftop.
* SmellsSexy: Hilarious for the audience, incredibly creepy for Dylan when he tries to sleep with someone other than Jamie.
* SpeedSex: Jamie parodies how men act during sex: "Oh, yeah, baby, come on, now. Say my name. Yeah... I'm done. How was I?"
* StraightGay: Tommy is the sports editor at GQ and generally acts traditionally manly, and also is very open about being gay.
* StylisticSuck: The film-within-a-film the leads watch several times.
* TakeThat: Several:
** At the beginning, after Jamie's boyfriend broke up with her, she says: "I really have to stop buying into this bullshit Hollywood cliché of true love. ''(sees a poster for Film/TheUglyTruth)'' Shut up, Katherine Heigl, you stupid liar!"
** Dylan's girlfriend breaks up with him right before they're supposed to go to a John Mayer concert. He remarks: "Thank you for doing this before the concert, by the way. Best breakup ever." Later, when he mentions to Jamie that his ex-girlfriend loves John Mayer, she pretends to retch.
** After Dylan and Jamie end their "friends with benefits" arrangement, they go out for a walk and both try to pick up someone. Dylan notes that the woman he noticed is reading a book. Jamie responds: "It's probably Creator/NicholasSparks."
* WithFriendsLikeThese: Jamie says a variant to Dylan during their fight:
-->"With friends like you, who needs friends?"