Frenemies is a Disney Channel Original Movie (very) loosely based on a book of the same name. The film has three separate plots connected by the theme Friendly Enemy.The first story follows a a boy (Jake Logan) and his dog (Murray) whose friendship is threatened by Jake's popular new girlfriend Julianne (Stefanie Scott). The second follows best friends Avalon (Bella Thorne) and Halley (Zendaya Coleman) who are given a chance to turn their web magazine into a real publication at the price of dumping one or the other. The third follows Savannah and Emma (both Mary Mouser) in a modern re-telling of The Prince and the Pauper.If you were looking for the Trope, you are looking for Friendly Enemy.
This film provides examples of:
- A Boy and His X: A boy and his dog in the A plot.
- Aloof Big Brother: Kendall to Halley.
- Alpha Bitch: Julianne in plot A, Walker in plot B.
- Ambition Is Evil: Ms. St. Claire and the entire B plot.
- Black and Nerdy: Halley
- Dance Party Ending: Set to Pose by Stefanie Scott.
- Extraverted Nerd: Jake
- The Film of the Book: Though only the names have been carried over.
- Fleeting Demographic Rule: A Princess and Pauper plot on the Disney Channel was last done by the Lizzie McGuire movie.
- Fauxreigner: Jean Franc/John Frank.
- Friendly Enemy: The movie is even called Frenemies.
- Large Ham: Bella Thorne and Zendaya Coleman in Plots A and C.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: A male example with Walker.
- Love Dodecahedron: Owen<Savannah<>Josh<>Emma<Owen
- Pragmatic Adaptation: On a massive scale, almost towards being closer to a Dolled-Up Installment. Literally, the only things the Disney Channel movie and original book have in common is the fact that the two main characters are named Halley and Avalon. Everything else has been completely changed and rewritten, the most obvious of which being the two other stories quite blatantly tacked onto the ends of Halley's and Avalan's story. The "main" story also greatly differs from the book as well and is much darker in tone and resolution (alot closer to The Clique than The Power of Friendship message the movie pushes) as well as ending in a Sequel Hook (which indeed is continued in the next book in the series).
- The Power of Friendship: The entire movie.
- Strictly Formula: One of the derisive nicknames for the movie is The CeCe and Rocky Movie Featuring Lexi because their characters come off as carbon copies of their Shake It Up and A.N.T. Farm counterparts (save that Lexi frequently has more likeable moments than Julianne.)
- Not to mention the shopworn Prince and the Pauper tale that makes up the rest of the movie.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Savannah and Emma.
- Uptight Loves Wild: Walker and Avalon.