Cheerleaders: We! Are driving! We! We! Are driving! Fired Up
Nick: Do you think the bus crashed and we went to heaven?
Shawn: No because then we would have heard "We! Are crashing! We! We! Are crashing!"
is a 2009 film about two football stars
who decide to get into a cheerleading squad, in order to attend a cheering camp to hook up with as many girls as they can
and leave before the camp-end competition. Then one of them falls for the squad captain and the other for a camp instructor, and they decide to stay, but get caught and expelled, and have to work around a way to get back into the camp.
This film provides examples of:
- All Guys Want Cheerleaders: The reason behind the whole plot.
- Alpha Bitch: A whole team of them in fact (the Panthers).
- Ambiguously Gay: Nick has his strange moments like his knowledge of recipes, his romantic writing, his shocking phrases about how straight he is and Shawn and Downey expecting him to come out.
- Arranged Marriage: Carly got together with her boyfriend because their parents were good friends.
- Bad Ass Gay: Bianca. One punch sends the Panthers running. She's also a lesbian
- Becoming the Mask: Sean and Nick actually do find out that they enjoy cheerleading.
- Bring It On: No, really. It's an in-universe trope.
- Camp Gay: Brewster is really camp.
- Catch Phrase:
- Silvya: "I'm just saying"
- Shawn: "You've gotta risk it to get the biscuit"
- Character Development: The boys change from players to sensitive, caring friends to the girls and even romantic suitors during the camp. If they weren't all along under Jerkass Fašade.
- The Cheerleader: Completely averted with everybody else, but the Panthers are the cover boys of the trope as stated. Go ahead, take a look
- Clingy Costume: The mascots never take of their costumes. Even when they're skinny dipping.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Silvya has the weirdest lines before her Catch Phrase.
- Cluster S Bomb: The coach really likes the word "Shit". Nick and Shawn made a game out of trying to guess how many times he can say it in one conversation.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: The Fountain of Troy.
- Dawson Casting: At 23 at the time of filming, Sarah Roemer was the youngest of the lead actors. Nicholas D'Agosto was 27 and Eric Christian Olsen was 30.
- Deadpan Snarker: Don't talk with Poppy if you can avoid it.
- Fanservice: Lots and lots of it.
- Gratuitous Spanish: The Fountain of Troy is prohibidado. Prohibidabado. Prohibibabo.
- Hand or Object Underwear: Following the Skinny Dipping, Nick and Shawn use their hands and some pom-poms to cover up when they get caught.
- Jerk Jock: Every guy who isn't on the cheering camp. It gets hilarious when they get caught by coach.
- Ladykiller in Love: Shawn.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Bianca, of course.
- Opposing Cheerleaders Team: The Panthers.
- Please Put Some Clothes On: Bianca is asked to put on some underpants when they get woken up at night and when she was sharing Angela's bed.
- The Problem with Pen Island: During the Fired Up cheer, most shout the letters "F U". Shawn and Nick are apparently the only ones to notice the problem.
- Romantic False Lead: Dr. Rick for Carly.
- Second Place Is for Losers: Averted. The Tigers get thirteenth place, but they are happy because it's ten places better than last year
- Secret Diary: Nick has one full of romantic poetry.
- Serious Business: Cheering. Specially for Adam.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: The football coach, whose favorite word is "shit".
- Shout-Out: Carly's Jerk Ass boyfriend make ones to Animal House and Meet the Parents.
- Skinny Dipping: Followed by the inevitable Gone Swimming, Clothes Stolen.
- Straight Gay: Downey actually got Nick to thing he was straight.
- Also, most if not all of the oh-so straight looking Panther guys, if we believe to the girl who said that there were only four straight guys in the camp, being three of those Nick, Shawn and Adam.
- Hopefully Coach Keith is the fourth.
- Strangled by the Red String: Shawn falls for Carly so suddenly that even he can't list a reason for liking her beyond normal facts.
Shawn: That time I saw her reading that book. She orders pudding for dessert.
Nick: Now you're just listing things people do!
Shawn: Sometimes she writes with a pencil.
- Suddenly Sexuality: Angela getting together with Bianca.
- Take That: The band Nickleback takes a few hits.
- The Wildcats: Both The Tigers and The Panthers.
- Title Drop.
- Training from Hell: Or the closest you're gonna see to this in a cheerleading movie.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Shawn's sister, Poppy, is very mature for her age.
- Verbal Tic: Again, the coach.