Fear is a 1996 psychological thriller starring Mark Wahlberg and Reese Witherspoon.Nicole Walker (Witherspoon) is a teenage girl who, while at a cafe, meets a handsome and mysterious young man named David McCall (Wahlberg). The two end up together and within a couple of weeks, Nicole realizes that David is becoming possessive of her and ultimately breaks up with him. David tries everything to get Nicole back, but when that doesn't work, he and his group of friends break into Nicole's home by holding her and her family hostage, which leads to some nasty consequences.The film costars William Petersen as Nicole's father Steven, Amy Brenneman as her stepmother Laura, and Alyssa Milano as her best friend Margo.
This film provides examples of:
- Action Dad: Steven realizes what's going on and eventually has a showdown with David.
- Badass Boast: David's note to Steven after trashing his car: "Now I've popped both your cherries!"
- Bad Guys Play Pool: The first time Nicole sees David, he is playing pool.
- Car Fu: The youngest member of the family runs over a member of David's gang.
- Carved Mark: David carves "Nicole 4 Eva" into his chest.
- Chekhov's Gift: The Peace Pipe David wins for Nicole at a fair is used to stab him in the back.
- Cool Car: Steven's 1966 Ford Mustang and David's 1965 Chevrolet Corvair.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: David goes above and beyond this trope.
- Disney Villain Death: How David dies.
- Evil Orphan: It's eventually explained that David was an orphan who went from home to home and shelter to shelter cause he was too crazy to take care of.
- Fanservice: Reese Witherspoon and Alyssa Milano wear revealing clothes for a good portion of the movie, Milano is seen in a thong at one point.
- In the Back: David gets stabbed with a peace pipe in that area.
- Implied Death Threat: David's speech to Gary comparing him to a wall (since Gary's standing between Nicole and himself)David: Did you know I grew up in a lot of different places?Gary: Uh, no. Actually, Nicole told me that...David: Oh, yeah. Bridgewater, Spaford, Rikers, you name it. You know what they have in common?Gary: No.David: Weak walls. Actually, that's why they moved me around so much. I'd pound on the wall, it'd break. They'd move me to the next one and the next one... until finally they got sick of buildin' walls and showed me the door. Pretty useful upbringing it turned out, though, Gar. There's always walls. Usually the moist, fleshy kind that try to get in the way of me and it, whatever it may be. Silly, silly people, though. They're only to be knocked down.
- Kick the Dog: More like decapitate the dog.
- Midlife Crisis Car: Steven's Red Corvette.
- Mr. Fanservice: David being shirtless before sexing it up with Nicole.
- Neck Snap: What happens to Gary.
- Not Good with Rejection: David.
- Papa Wolf: Steven goes into this mode towards the end.
- Police Are Useless: Played with; the security guard for the Walker family is smart enough to stop the thugs and disarm them, but one sneaks up behind him.
- Stalker with a Crush: David.
- The Modest Orgasm: Nicole has one while getting fingered by David on a roller coaster.
- The Precious, Precious Car: Steven's cherry red Mustang gets absolutely trashed by David.
- This Is a Drill: One of the thugs attacking the house gets drilled in the hand and immediately leaves for the hospital.
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: David punches himself in the chest and blames it on Steven to have Nicole confront him about it.
- Yandere: David is seriously possessive of Nicole, to Crazy Jealous Guy degrees.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: David shoots his friend Logan in the head right before the final battle due to him trying to rape Nicole.