Film / Encino Man
is a 1992 comedy movie in which a caveman named Link (played by Brendan Fraser
) goes from being frozen in a block of ice to being the most popular guy at Encino High, with help from Dave (Sean Astin
) and his friend Stoney (Pauly Shore).
This movie provides examples of:
- Asian and Nerdy: the lone Asian student to play a (minor) role is portrayed as an overenthusiastic geek, always trying to get more students to join the Computer Club.
- Brain Freeze: Link experiences one after Stoney's lesson on "wheezing the juice". His mouth is still full of slush drink as he silently clutches at his head,
- Death Glare: Link, when Matt punched the glass he was drawing on with mustard.
- Extreme Omnivore: Link will eat anything. Anything.
- Happily Married: Despite the Ice Age, Link and his wife loved each other very much.
- Here We Go Again: After everything is settled Link's mate from the past is discovered in their pool and the whole mess is starting over again.
- Heroic BSOD: Link freaks out at the museum. See Mood Whiplash below.
- Insistent Terminology: "Parallel parking is not a 'thing', alright? It's not a feeling, it's not a state-of-mind, it's not one of your personal disco records."
- The Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer: Well, not a lawyer, but otherwise Link fits both the trope and the name to a T.
- The Voiceless: Link, for most of the movie. Though he does pick up some words, he only understands about half of what he says, so he communicates primarily through body language.
- Walk This Way: As the class heads to the museum, Stoney (exaggerately) mimics the way Matt Wilson's cohorts walk, while walking behind them.
- What Does She See in Him?: Robyn goes out with Matt at the start of the movie, which Dave just found out. He even says this. Soon she broke up with him due to his jerkass-ness.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Stoney gives Dave one of these when Dave tries to abandon Link. Stoney points out that Dave never viewed Link as a friend, but just a tool to help him become popular. Dave gives a little back by saying that Stoney never cared about anything before except "nugs, chillin' and grindage".
- Wild Hair: Link, obviously. Even though the boys give him a haircut.
- You Can't Go Home Again: Link, when he realizes his world, his old life, and his wife is gone. However, his wife has also been frozen in ice and is reunited with Link.
- Your Mom:
Going somewhere? Dave:
Yeah, got a date with your mom. Matt:
Now that's not nice. Dave: It's just a joke
, I'm sorry.